[env-trinity] CA Coastal Commission Looking for Trinity Co. Coordinator for Coastal Cleanup Day

Tom Stokely tstokely at trinityalps.net
Tue Feb 24 14:31:07 PST 2004

 Is anybody interested in being the Trinity County organizer for the September Coastal Cleanup Day (it also includes inland streams and rivers)?  If so, please contact Eben Schwartz at the number below or at

eschwartz at coastal.ca.gov

TS

February 4, 2004

- For Immediate Release -

Contacts:            Eben Schwartz, Statewide Outreach Coordinator, (415) 904-5210

                        Judi Shils, Marketing and Sponsorship, (415) 904-5273

California Coastal Commission Announces the "58 for 58" Campaign

San Francisco - The Public Education Program of the California Coastal Commission announced today the launch of its "58 for 58" campaign, designed to recruit volunteers and leadership in each of California's 58 counties over the next 58 days for this September's California Coastal Cleanup Day. This year's Cleanup will celebrate the 20th Anniversary of the event. In recognition of this milestone, the Coastal Comission is working to broaden the scope of the Cleanup in order to include volunteers from every county in the state - both coastal and inland areas.

Started in 1985, California Coastal Cleanup Day is billed as "the country's largest volunteer event dedicated to the marine environment." Taking place over a three-hour span on the same day every year - the third Saturday of September - the Cleanup has gained a prominent spot on California's volunteer calendar, and expands into new areas virtually every year. In September of 2003, 47,817 people turned out in 41 of the state's counties to help remove almost 700,000 pounds of debris. As these numbers indicate, Coastal Cleanup Day long ago outgrew its "coastal" moniker.

"We've been cleaning up inland areas for almost as long as we've been organizing Coastal Cleanup Day," said Eben Schwartz, Statewide Outreach Coordinator for the California Coastal Commission. "The data we've collected during the event over the years has shown that most of the trash we pick up starts in our inland and urban areas. So why not go straight to the source and stop that trash where it starts?"

<cont.>

Over the next 58 days, the Coastal Commission's Public Education Program, which coordinates the statewide event, will be seeking to recruit coordinators from each of the counties that do not yet participate in Coastal Cleanup Day (see end of this release for a list of these counties). The County Coordinators are a diverse lot, ranging from organizations or agencies with a specific environmental mission to concerned individuals with no organizational affiliation at all. The County Coordinator is an unpaid position that receives training, supplies, and support from the Coastal Commission.

"Coastal Cleanup Day is such a massive affair that, if it were not for the partnerships we build with local governments, non-profit groups, and our volunteers, we would never be able to pull it off," Schwartz said. "We're looking for anyone and everyone who's interested in being part of this vital event this September, even if all you want to do is grab a bag and clean up at your local creek."

The Commission has already sent letters to the Departments of Public Works and Environmental Health of each of the unrepresented counties. However, the Commission welcomes any private or public involvement, and will be looking to fill these volunteer positions as soon as possible. For more information, please contact Eben Schwartz at (415) 904-5210, (800) COAST-4-U, or eschwartz at coastal.ca.gov.

Counties currently unrepresented in California Coastal Cleanup Day:

Amador, Colusa, Glenn, Inyo, Kern, Kings, Lassen, Mariposa, Plumas, San Benito, Shasta, Sierra, Siskiyou, Stanislaus, Sutter, Tehama, Trinity, Tulare, Tuolumne.