[env-trinity] Weseloh Letter to Editor - Times Standard

Daniel Bacher danielbacher at hotmail.com
Mon May 17 17:56:55 PDT 2004

Here's the latest update on what's happening with the American River
Parkway.

Last Minute Rally of River Activists Prevents Raid On Parkway Funds

by Dan Bacher

In a last minute rally of local river activists, 35 supporters of the
American River Parkway attended the Sacramento County Board of Supervisors
meeting on May 13 to stave off an attempt by the County Sheriff to divert $3
million proposed for the parkway.

The County had proposed to cut the parkway budget $633,000, a vast
improvement over an earlier proposed cut of $4.4 million from a budget of
about $5 million, during a "Quality of Life" hearing on May 6. The County
found the $3,000,000 for the parkway through a windfall land sale.

However, river advocates received a tip from County insiders on May 12 that
Lou Blanas, Sacramento County Sheriff, was planning to raid this fund to
solve a shortfall in his department. The presence of Parkway supporters at
the latest hearing apparently convinced the Board to hold firm on their
tentative agreement to give the $3 million to the parkway.

"We feel good that the cuts are not as bad as they could be," said Alan
Wade, president of the Save the American River Association (SARA), who spoke
on behalf of the organization on May 13. "I look at the parkway budget glass
now as 3/4 full rather than 3/4 empty."

Unfortunately, parkway funding for the upcoming fiscal year -  July 1, 2004
through June 30, 2005 - is still not definitely secured because of projected
cuts in state budget reimbursements to the County that loom over the County
budget. "We could be back to square one because I don’t think the Governor
understands the dire straits that the local governments are in," said Wade.

The Sacramento Bee on May 14 quoted Roger Niello, County Supervisor as
saying, "When the other shoe drops (the state budget), we’re going to have
to find additional money or make additional cuts, so we’ll be back here
looking for creative solutions."

In the latest meeting, the Board approved a spending plan for the coming
year with $17.9 million cuts for nearly every department. In early July, the
Board of Supervisors is expected to make their final budget decisions after
they are provided with information regarding the status of state budget
reimbursements for county programs.

The failure of the Sheriff to raid the parkway fund is a great tribute to
the hundreds of parkway activists who wrote letters, attended board meetings
and called their Board members to urge them not to close the American River
Parkway, the "crown jewel" of Sacramento County.

The parkway generates an estimated $259,034,030 in the local economy each
year, according to the American River Parkway Financial Needs Study (August
10, 2000.)  This includes direct spending by parkway visitors, the County of
Sacramento and other operators involved in providing parkway services. The
American River is one of the most heavily fished rivers in the state because
of its large king salmon, steelhead, striped bass and shad runs.

"Our presence was noted and we managed to deter anyone from even suggesting
that the 3 million dollars promised the week before should be shifted to
someplace else," said Betsy Weiland, SARA activist. "Never doubt that it is
our continued dedication to attending these hearings that is keeping the
Parkway front and center in this budget crisis. We have lived to fight
another day."

However, she emphasized, "Once the other shoe falls i.e. the state budget
impacts, we will once again alert everyone if more action is needed to
protect the Parkway funding."

Meanwhile, parkway advocates will be stepping up their efforts to search for
alternative funding sources.

For more information and the latest action alerts, contact the Save the
American River Association: www.sarariverwatch.org; email -
riverwatch at comcast.net or sara5204 at pacbell.net; or phone (916) 383-1298. You
can also contact the American River Parkway Foundation, P.O. Box 188437.
Sacramento, CA 95818, (916) 456-7423, Fax (916) 455-4632, www.arpf.org.