[env-trinity] Tom - Please call me ASAP About the Court Victory! 916-685-2245, ext. 24

Daniel Bacher danielbacher at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 14 09:40:25 PDT 2004

<env-trinity at velocipede.dcn.davis.ca.us>,
<salmon at pelicannetwork.net>
>Subject: [env-trinity] SF Chronicle- Tribes win Trinity flow fight
>Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 08:34:01 -0700
>
>       SAN FRANCISCO
>       Tribes win Trinity flow fight
>       Court gives green light to revival of salmon population
>
>       Harriet Chiang, Chronicle Legal Affairs Writer
>       Wednesday, July 14, 2004

>       Two Northern California Indian tribes scored a victory in their
effort to restore ancestral fisheries Tuesday when a federal appeals court
gave the go-ahead for a plan to revive the Trinity River's once-thriving
salmon population.

>       The Hoopa Valley and Yurok tribes have been waging a decades-long
battle to increase the flow of water from a dam on the Trinity and boost the
river's salmon population. On Tuesday, the Ninth U.S. Circuit Court of
Appeals in San Francisco said a deal the tribes reached with government
agencies could be put in place, rejecting objections from a Central Valley
water agency that benefits from diverted Trinity flows.

>       Since the Trinity River Dam was built in 1964, 90 percent of the
Trinity's water has been diverted to the Sacramento River for farmers and
other water users. The result was an 85 percent drop in the Trinity's
population of chinook salmon, which local Indians had fished for
generations.

>       In 2000 the Hoopa Valley Tribe, taking the lead in negotiations
for the two tribes, devised a plan with the U.S. Interior Department and
other federal and state agencies to try to restore the Trinity River fishery
by reducing the amount of water diverted to 50 percent.

>       The plan was immediately challenged by the Westlands Water
District, a 600,000-acre agricultural tract on the west side of the San
Joaquin Valley that gets some of the water diverted from the Trinity. In a
federal lawsuit, the district and other irrigation and power companies
charged that the plan did not comply with federal environmental laws.

>       But a unanimous federal appeals court rejected most of those
challenges Tuesday and ordered the restoration plan to be implemented.

>       "Twenty years have passed since Congress passed the first
major act calling for restoration of the Trinity River and rehabilitation of
its fish populations,'' Judge Alfred Goodwin wrote in the court's opinion.
"And almost another decade has elapsed since Congress set a minimal
flow level for the river to force rehabilitative action.''

>       Having disposed of the issues raised by the district and others,
Goodwin concluded, "nothing remains to prevent the full implementation
of the (2000 agreement), including its complete flow plan for the Trinity
River.''

>       The decision reverses most of a ruling in January by U.S.
District Judge Oliver Wanger in Fresno. He had found that the 2000 plan did
not take into account the effect that increased flows in the Trinity would
have on endangered species in the Sacramento River and the Delta.

>       "This opinion is a clear victory for the anadromous fishery
of the Trinity River and the future of our people,'' said Lyle Marshall,
chairman of the Hoopa Valley Tribe.

>       Robert Franklin, senior hydrologist for the Hoopa Valley
Fisheries Department, called the decision "a home run.''

>       "Budgeteers and administrators will see how quickly we can
move forward to restoration,'' he said.

>       Tupper Hull, a spokesman for the Westlands Water District, said
there were some "mixed decisions'' in the ruling that could be
interpreted in favor of his client. "We're evaluating them carefully,
and we're evaluating all our options,'' he said.

>       But he acknowledged that the decision "certainly is not good
news'' for the district.

>       The Yurok Tribe, which historically fished the Klamath River,
became involved in the negotiations because it gave up hundreds of acres of
aboriginal land in the late 1800s in return for fishing rights on the
Trinity.

>       "That promise has not been kept," said Scott Williams,
a Berkeley lawyer who represented the tribe.

>       He called the restoration plan and Tuesday's court decision
"a good step toward repairing that broken promise.''