[env-trinity] Article Regarding Trip to Scotland by Klamath River Tribes

Daniel Bacher danielbacher at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 29 08:44:25 PDT 2004

Scottish Power Makes Commitment to Klamath River Tribes During Scotland Trip

By Dan Bacher

During a meeting with leaders of four Klamath River tribes on July 22, Ian
Russell, Chief Executive of Scottish Power, said that he is “committed to
finding the right solutions” to the problems caused by the operation of a
series of six dams that the corporation’s subsidiary, PacifiCorp, operates
on the river.

“For this to be solved, we need high quality, well structured dialogue and
we are committed to this,” said Russell.

Russell also stated that “the Tribes and Scottish Power have similar values”
and spoke of having a deep respect for the sovereignty and history of the
tribes.

The meeting with Russell and Judi Johansen, the CEO and president of
PacifiCorp, took place during the historic trip to Scotland by tribal
leaders, including six representatives from the Yurok Tribe, five from the
Klamath Tribe, eight from the Karuk Tribe and three from the Hoopa Valley
Tribe. Two representatives of Friends of the River and one representative of
the Pacific Coast Federation of Fishermen’s Association also participated in
the delegation.

PacifiCorp’s dams block over 350 miles of historic spawning ground, degrade
water quality and play a major part in the steady decline of what was once
the third greatest salmon-producing river in the continental United States.

PacifiCorp officials solicited input from the tribes and stakeholders over
the past four years as their license application to the Federal Energy
Regulatory Commission was drafted. However, the final 80 lb. document didn’t
include salmon restoration strategies or an evaluation of dam removal, two
fundamental issues raised by the tribes, environmentalists and fishermen.

The trip also took the group to the annual shareholders meeting of Scottish
Power, where the group was wildly successful in putting the issue of Klamath
River dams in front of the shareholders. During the meeting, tribal leaders
asked the shareholders to “search their hearts” and pressure the energy
giant to remove dams to allow the salmon to reach their spawning grounds in
the Klamath watershed.

The delegation attracted wide media attention in Scotland, the United
Kingdom and Europe – as well as getting coverage in newspapers as far as
away as Taipei, Taiwan. Not only did the group get a lot of attention from
the media, but they also got a great reception from the Scottish people.

As shareholders arrived, the delegates waved signs saying, “Respect our
fish, respect our people,” “First the buffalo, now the salmon” and “Red
power meets Scottish power.” They danced and beat drums as they sang
traditional songs. Motorists driving by honked in support.

According to an article in the Glasgow Herald on July 24,“It was a simple
message from a proud people. About 30 members of four native American tribes
yesterday urged shareholders of a multinational energy giant to preserve
their ancient culture.”

“Did we get a firm commitment from the corporation? No,” said Leaf Hillman,
vice-chairman of the Karuk tribe and chairman of the Klamath River Inter
Tribal Fish and Water Commission.  “Russell committed to maintaining an open
line of communication and working toward a solution. That is not much
different from what he have been hearing from PacifiCorp in the U.S during
the FERC Renegotiation process.”

However, Hillman said that he is extremely optimistic about the results of
the trip. “This is the first real shot across the bow of Scottish Power,” he
stated. “Before going to Scotland, I believe that we weren’t a blimp on
Scottish Power’s screen. The chairmen of our tribes would probably not get
past the secretary in Scottish Power’s offices. That has changed.”

Hillman said that the support they received from the Scottish people was not
unexpected, but the way they were treated by the shareholders was
unexpected.

“During the shareholders meeting in the Festival Theatre in Edinburgh, the
shareholders demanded that Scottish Power listen to us,” said Hillman. “They
treated us with the utmost respect and dignity.”

Merv George, director of the Klamath River Inter Tribal Fish and Water
Commission and a member of the Hoopa Valley Tribe, was also greatly
encouraged by the support the delegation received from the shareholders and
the Scottish people.

“We brought up the noise level about the atrocities perpetuated on the
Klamath not only to Scottish Power, but to the entire United Kingdom,” said
George. “During the shareholders meeting, the people completely embraced us.
People were honking in support of us as they drove by and they took our
handouts. It was amazing to see the level of support that we received. We
pretty much hijacked the entire weekend with our issue. The Klamath River is
definitely on Scottish Power’s radar screens now!”

The tribes and supporters emphasized how that while they received none of
the power or benefits from the operation of the dams, the dams have had a
very negative impact on the river’s salmon, steelhead and other fish
populations.

He added, “The bottom line is that we want to see the dams out of the river.
In the Klamath Basin, it’s to everybody’s benefit – fishermen, loggers,
tribes and the local economy – to get the resource restored.”

Craig Tucker, outreach director of Friends of the River, said that although
they didn’t get a binding commitment, they had a “significant impact” upon
Scottish Power. “Before we went to Scotland, the upper management of
Scottish Power had never even heard of the Klamath,” said Tucker.

During the trip, Tucker said members of the delegation:

• Visited fish ladder facilities on Scotland’s largest river, where up to
11,000 Atlantic salmon ascend every year.

• Traveled to Brussels, Belgium to meet with representatives of the European
Union regarding the need to pressure Scottish Power to remove the Klamath
dams.

• Had a Member of Parliament, Robin Harper, introduce a resolution into the
Scottish Parliament calling on Scottish Power to “lead the way in taking
active measures to reverse the decline in salmon numbers in what once was
America’s third greatest salmon river.”

“The Klamath River issue goes beyond being an environmental issue,”
concluded Tucker. “With our trip to Scotland, the Klamath has now become an
international human rights issue. Not only are the tribes denied a resource
needed to sustain them in the modern economy, but they are denied the salmon
that are a fundamental part of their religion.”

As the tribes and supporters plan out their next step in their battle to
restore the Klamath River, Tucker encouraged people to urge Governor Arnold
Schwartzenegger to take a leadership role in the fight to “bring the salmon
home.” The tribes are looking to FERC to use its authority to protect tribal
trust resources, but the CA Water Resources Control Board, under the
Governor’s direction, can make demands on the license to protect fisheries.

The target date for final license approval is March, 2006. For more
information, contact: http://www.friendsoftheriver.org/ or
http://www.klamathbasin.info/facts.htm.

To file comments with FERC and for more information, also contact
www.klamathwaterquality.com.