[env-trinity] Take Action To Save the American River!

Daniel Bacher danielbacher at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 13 10:41:02 PDT 2004

Take Action To Save The American!

by John Beuttler, conservation director, California Sportfishing Projection
Alliance

Since the inception of Folsom Dam on the American River some fifty years
ago, the river has increasingly been jerked around by the Bureau of
Reclamation (BOR) to export water to contractors and to meet salinity
standards in the Delta.

The lack of flow and temperature standards needed to protect fisheries and
aquatic habitat have significantly impacted the natural reproduction of the
river's salmon, steelhead and American shad. With no flow or temperature
requirements to prevent dropping the flows when fish are spawning, or to
protect them from lethal thermal temperatures, poor river management has
taken a huge toll on its fisheries!

According to Mike Healy, a biologist with the DFG, thirty-seven percent of
the 2003 run, or 58,651 adults, died before spawning in the 22 miles of the
river below Nimbus Dam in the fall of 2003. The vast majority were
considered potential natural spawners. Big die-offs of pre-spawning salmon
also occurred in 2002 and 2001. The 2002 run lost 30 percent of the run. The
2001 lost 87,626 fish or 67 percent before spawning! Most of this waste
could have been prevented if flow standards were required as part of the
agencies water right.

The CSPA letter to BOR and the USFWS that follows goes into greater detail
on this. CSPA is asking everyone to who reads this alert to “stand up for
the river and its fisheries” by contacting the BOR and urging them to take
action now. I'd like to thank Dan Bacher, managing editor of the Fish
Sniffer magazine, for providing the data acquired by Mike Healy.

The addresses to send your letters are below. To make phone calls, contact:
Lynnette Wirth, Deputy Director (916) 978-5100 or: Information Office: (916)
978 - 5100 / FAX (916) 978 – 5114.

California Sportfishing Protection Alliance
1360 Neilson Street / Berkeley / CA 94702 / 510-526-4049

August 11, 2004

Mr. Kirk Rodgers                                      Mr. Steve Thompson
Regional Director                                      CA/Nevada Operations
Manager
Bureau of Reclamation                              U.S. Fish and Wildlife
Service
2800 Cottage Way                                    2800 Cottage Way
Sacramento, CA 95825                             Sacramento, CA 95825

            Re:  American River Flow Standards

Dear Mr. Rodgers and Mr.Thompson:

The California Sportfishing Protection Alliance, on behalf of our several
thousand members, would like to inform you of our support for establishing
flow standards to protect the anadromous fisheries and aquatic environment
of the lower American River as proposed by the Sacramento Valley Water
Forum.

The proposed standards will correct the many years of fishery degradation
due to BOR's flow releases from Folsom Dam. Since this proposal was
developed through cooperation with your agencies, NOAA Fisheries and the
California Department of Fish and Game, we urge your immediate action to
adopt these flow standards. Such action would also help your agencies comply
with the Central Valley Project Improvement Act to double populations of the
river's naturally produced anadromous fisheries.

As you are aware, adopting these standards will require the actions of the
State Water Resources Control Board to amend the BOR's permit to operate
Folsom Reservoir established under Water Right Decision 893. We urge you to
immediately initiate action to amend Decision 893.

Sincerely,

John Beuttler,
For the Board of Directors

cc: Robert Treanor - Executive Director, California Fish & Game Commission
Ryan Broddrick - Director, California Department of Fish & Game
Celeste Cantu  - Executive Director, State Water Resources Control Board
Patrick Wright -  Executive Director, California Bay-Delta Authority

You can support CSPA’s conservation efforts by becoming a member.  Donations
are tax-deductible, greatly needed and most appreciated. Send checks to CSPA
at 1360 Neilson Street, Berkeley, CA 94702-1116. Membership starts a $25. If
you are a member, then you know of the good work we do, so sign up a friend
and help us restore our fisheries! Questions? Call me at 510-526-4049.