[env-trinity] Water For All Action Alert: Support Recognition of Winnemem Wintu Tribe

Daniel Bacher danielbacher at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 23 12:25:32 PDT 2004

Dear Water Activists,

Please support the Winnemem Wintu (Middle Water People) in their fight to
stop the raising of Shasta Dam, which would result in flooding of sacred
lands and loss of traditional way of life by taking action at
http://capwiz.com/friendsoftheriver/issues/alert/?alertid=6389796&type=CO

The U. S. Bureau of Reclamation has proposed raising the 602 foot Shasta Dam
any where from 6 to 200 feet as part of a greater CALFED plan to increase
water storage for a thirsty, wasteful and ever growing California. Raising
the dam would flood the many of the last remaining sacred sites of the
Winnemem Wintu Tribe. Cultural devastation of this scale is akin to razing
the Vatican.

In 1851 the Winnemem signed a treaty with the U.S. Government ceding all
their lands in exchange for a 35 square mile reservation. Congress never
ratified the treaty, no reservation was established, yet the U.S. government
took possession of Winnemem lands. Additionally, the Tribe was stripped of
its tribal status in the mid-eighties due to a technicality.

Members of the Winnemem have been attending hearings on the proposed dam
expansion in recent months, but they are at a disadvantage because the tribe
is not formally recognized under federal law.

You can help the Winnemem Wintu tribe by urging Senator Feinstein to support
legislation restoring tribal status to the Winnemem Wintu. To take action
please click

http://capwiz.com/friendsoftheriver/issues/alert/?alertid=6389796&type=CO

More information:

McCloud River Indians Hold "War Dance" To Stop Shasta Dam Expansion

by Dan Bacher (www.fishsniffer.com)

For the first time in 117 years, the Winnemem (McCloud River) Wintu Tribe
held a four-day "War Dance" at Shasta Dam that ended at dusk on September
16. The dance's purpose was to protest the Bureau of Reclamation's proposal
to raise the dam anywhere from 6 1/2 to 200 feet as part of the CalFed
Program.

The tribe of 125 members, based in Redding, lost much of their remaining
homelands and their salmon when the dam was constructed in 1937.  "Any
raising of the dam, even a few feet, will flood some of our last remaining
sites on the McCloud River - sites we still use today," said Caleen
Sisk-Franco, Winnemem Spiritual and Tribal Leader. "Village sites, burial
ground and ceremonial grounds will all be lost forever."

On September 12, just before dusk, tribal members lit a sacred ceremonial
fire, beat a drum, began singing and started their fast. Eight barefoot men
danced from dusk on Sunday through dusk on Thursday. The tribe held the
dance under a permit from the Bureau.

Over 125 people supported the tribe either in the press conference held
before the dance or during the dance.  Representatives of environmental and
fishery restoration groups, including Steve Evans of Friends of the River
and Dave Fink of California Trout, spoke in support of the tribe. The Hoopa
Valley Tribe from the Trinity River and members of the Miwok, Redding
Rancheria, Pit River and Shasta Toyon tribes also supported the dancers.

Besides flooding sacred sites, a higher dam would hurt salmon, steelhead and
other fisheries on the Sacramento River, since the main purpose of the
proposal is to provide more water to export to San Joaquin Valley
agribusiness and other water users . It would result in a smaller cold-water
pool in
Lake Shasta, creating the possibility of increased pre-spawning mortality of
chinook salmon.

"We received emails of support from people all over the world as we
conducted our dance," said Charlotte Berta, a member of the tribe. "The War
Dance is used to ask for protection before we go into battle. We danced to
tell the dam that it is our enemy and not the people. We danced for our
people and all our relations. We danced to ask for protection of the waters,
the salmon and ourselves. We are going into battle, though not a physical
one, and we danced to give notice to the dam."

Sisk-Franco said the last time the tribe invoked the "War Dance" was in
1887when a fish hatchery on the McCloud River was considered the enemy and
protecting the salmon and the Winnemem way of life was the focus.

"We prayed on what it was we were supposed to do about the raising of the
dam and we were told to hold a war dance," said Fisk-Franco. "Our ancestors
showed the way with the dance against the fish hatchery and this is the path
that was shown to us. We gave up our homeland for the sake of the
California people and got nothing in return. Now you want to take our sacred
places and again we get nothing in return."

The tribe lost all of its ancestral land on the McCloud River in 1851 when
the federal government signed a treaty with them. In return, the tribe was
supposed to receive a 25 square mile reservation, but the treaty was never
ratified, and the government illegally seized the land anyway. Eventually,
individual tribal members were given allotments along the McCloud River, but
their land was completely flooded by Shasta Dam in 1937.

When Shasta Dam was first proposed, Congress passed a law authorizing the
federal government to take the lands and the burial grounds that the
Winnemem had for a thousand years.

"Promises were made to the tribe that still have not been kept," said
Sisk-Franco "The tribe is asking the BOR to resolve these long standing
debts before proceeding with these studies. The tribe, as part of the
ongoing CalFed process to meet water storage and meet California's growing
thirst, wants to study alternatives to raising the dam such as better
management practices for the existing reservoir and conservation options, as
well as better protection of the fish populations."

The dam expansion would flood the burial ground that includes victims of the
massacre at Kaibai Creek; Puberty Rock, where the young women's coming of
age ceremonies are held; and Children's Rock, where the young ones place
their hands for blessings to make them good people and to help them
understand and magnify whatever special gifts they hold, according to Mark
Franco, Headman of the tribe's Kerekmet Village.

Bureau of Reclamation officials claim that dam expansion could help fish by
providing steadier flows in the Sacramento River and maintaining colder
water temperatures for migrating salmon and steelhead, but the tribe and
environmental groups disagree.

"The Bureau says a higher dam is needed to benefit the salmon, but in fact
they are changing the operations in a way that will eliminate the cold water
pool in Shasta Lake," said Steve Evans, conservation director of Friends of
the River. "They are actually proposing to reduce the amount of water
in the reservoir by exporting more water south. This dam expansion is tied
into supplying Bureau contracts with irrigators while increasing Delta
diversions."

Whereas under current operations the Bureau has to maintain cold water 58
degrees and lower in the river down to Red Bluff, the Bureau's proposal
would move the required cold water zone upstream to Balls Ferry. Operational
changes could result in 26 percent mortality on Sacramento River spring
chinooks in dry years and in up to 100 percent mortality in critically dry
years, according to Evans.

Raising the dam would also impact houseboat owners, marina operators and
fishermen on Shasta Lake, as well as potentially inundate sections of the
McCloud River, a world-class wild trout fishery.

"The Bureau claims that the purpose of the dam is to help the salmon,"
concluded Berta. "But look at the facts: the Bureau in 1937 put in a big dam
with no fish ladder that prevented salmon from getting upstream. Now they
are saying that making the dam higher is supposed to help the salmon?
They are not talking to native people who know all about the habitat of the
salmon. We could provide them with a lot of information that would help them
restore salmon populations."

The Winnemem is not a federally recognized tribe - in a bureaucratic snafu,
the federal government mistakenly left the tribe out when it transcribed a
list of recognized tribes - and the tribe supported a bill authored by
Colorado Senator Ben Nighthorse Campbell that would make a "technical
correction" to give the tribe federal recognition.

However, the Winnemem rider to the technical correction bill, slated to be
submitted to the Senate the week of September 20, was pulled. Passage of the
technical correction was considered a sure thing until Senator Feinstein's
office said she would not vote for it if it contained the language for
the Winnemem restoration of federal recognition, according to Berta. Since
it's a technical correction, it contained several other issues, and based on
the 100% requirement for passing, the Winnemem rider was pulled in order to
get the other issues passed.

For more information, visit the Winnemem Wintu website at
www.winnememwintu.us .

Juliette Beck
California Campaign Director
Water for All