[env-trinity] Needed Friends of the Klamath River!

Tim McKay nec at northcoast.com
Tue Sep 28 09:59:29 PDT 2004

PLEASE ATTEND THESE IMPORTANT MEETINGS!

The Bureau of Reclamation is launching a new initiative to restore or
reform the  practices in the Klamath Basin.  BOR's approach is a
"proposed multi-participant, basin-wide Conservation Implementation
Program (CIP)."

"Recent natural resource conflicts in the Klamath Basin have
highlighted the need for a basin-wide forum to identify and implement
solutions to these conflicts." The BOR says...

The problem is that there are multiple forums designated and designed
to deal with Klamath issues...so the question arises as to which
forum contains substance and which are just and empty shell.

We may not be happy about this shell game...but for the future of the
Klamath it may be the only game in town, or is it?

The BOR says that "the purpose of the CIP is to (1) largely restore
the Klamath River ecosystem to achieve recovery of the Lost River and
Shortnose suckers and substantially contribute to the recovery of
Coho salmon, (2) contribute to the Tribal Trust responsibilities of
the Federal government, and (3) allow continued, sustainable
operation of existing water management facilities and future water
resource improvements for human use in the Klamath Basin.
Reclamation will facilitate the program, compile and incorporate the
comments into a final draft CIP for public review, with interested
parties directing the CIP and its activities."

A draft CIP is online, they say, at:

  http://www.usbr.gov/mp/kbao/docs/CIP-ProgramDoc.pdf or by calling
541-883-6935.

Here on the Klamath Coast two meetings are being held this week from 6--9 p.m..

Wednesday, September 29, Arcata Community Center, 321 Community
Parkway, 736 F Street, Arcata...

Thursday, September 30, Klamath Community Center, 219 Salmon Avenue, Klamath...

I'll be attending both, and I'll hope to see you there...Humboldt Bay
area people wishing to car pool to Klamath should let me know by
calling 822-6918...

Written comments on the draft CIP may be sent to Ms. Christine Karas,
Deputy Area Manager, Bureau of Reclamation, Klamath Basin Area
Office, 6600 Washburn Way, Klamath Falls, Oregon 97603...for more
information contact
Ms. Rae Olsen, public affairs office (541) 880-2543...

Tim McKay, executive director, (707) 822-6918 (w), 677-3172 (h)
Northcoast Environmental Center
575 H Street
Arcata CA 95521
www.yournec.org