[env-trinity] Bureau of Reclamation Water Management Imperils American River Fish

Daniel Bacher danielbacher at hotmail.com
Thu Oct 7 17:28:00 PDT 2004

Bureau of Reclamation Water Management Imperils American River Fish

by Dan Bacher

(published in the current edition of the Fish Sniffer magazine that came out
today)

The American River and its fisheries are threatened as they have never been
before. The fish kills over the past three years, when over 181,709 salmon
died before spawning, will become even worse if the Bureau of Reclamation,
under the Bush administration, is able to break federal and state law
protecting fisheries and move forward with its plans to take more water from
the Delta and the American River.

“I am convinced that what is going on right now is as big of a threat to the
future of our American River, yet more sinister, than if the Folsom South
Canal at Nimbus Dam had been completed,” said Jim Jones, longtime river
activist and past president of Save the American River Association.

I was on the river fishing for salmon on Monday, September 27, with Randy
Buffington, fishing guide. Randy had caught four kings to 20 pounds in the
morning, while I hooked a bright chinook in the afternoon. The water was
already low, at 1500 cfs, and good numbers of fish had already arrived in
the river, as evidenced by the many bright chinooks that we saw jumping.

A few days later, all hell broke loose when the U.S. Bureau of Reclamation
dropped the flows to 1250 cfs and then down to 1,000 cfs. Felix Smith,
retired federal biologist and the whistleblower in the Kesterson Wildlife
Refuge Scandal, and Rob Titus, DFG biologist, both criticized this decision
for threatening the adult salmon that are arriving in the river now, as well
as the over summering steelhead.

“The idea that the American River could be at 1,000 cfs throughout the adult
king salmon holding and spawning season is revolting,” said Smith. “The
water the Bureau is trying to conserve was lost during the months of June,
July and the first two weeks of August. That water also cost us a lot of
temperature control. Until the Bureau accepts the fact that it can reduce
Delta pumping, there will be no protection against the Bureau's operation of
the Folsom/Nimbus project for the contractors south of the Delta.”

Smith emphasized that the Bureau’s responsibility to meet the "Good
Condition" of Fish & Game Code 5937 is independent of its water right.
“These flow and temperature fluctuations are not good for the American River
ecosystem,” said Smith.

Rob Titus, DFG biologist, was very concerned about these flow reductions not
only from an ecological standpoint, but also with regard to process. “Why
hasn't the American River Operations Group been convened to discuss the
costs and benefits of the extreme reductions,” said Titus, referring to the
group formed to balance the water needs of fish and water users.

Titus also said that with the so-called relaxation of the temperature
requirement at Watt Avenue there may be a “growing perception that a green
light exists to push conditions for over summering steelhead to the absolute
edge.”

“Recall that the agreement to temporarily relax the 65 F requirement is
based almost entirely on water management realities and not the
environmental preferences of steelhead,” said Titus. “We are seeing signs of
stress in some of the juvenile steelhead we are monitoring in the form of
what the pathologist refer to generically as ‘rosy anus.’”

Titus and other DFG biologists were collecting steelhead on October 5 so the
DFG fish pathology lab could get a better idea of what may be causing this
alarming condition. Based on the information provided to them so far, this
condition is almost certainly associated with some form of stress, possibly
temperature related. “We have carried the steelhead this far through the
season, so let's not kill them all now by trying to push the envelope just a
little bit too much,” concluded Titus.

Thuy Washburn of the Bureau of Reclamation responded to the biologists’
concerns. “With the lack of storage, we concluded that it would be best to
conserve the water now and still have adequate temperatures and hope to slow
the salmon from coming up early,” she explained.

She said that they plan to increase the flows when the majority of salmon
show up in mid October. Then the release will increase to 1,500 cfs and
possibly up to 1750 cfs.

Unfortunately, the way the river is being operated now appears to be just a
window into the future of the American River and other Central Valley
fisheries. According to an article by Stuart Leavenworth in the Sacramento
Bee on Saturday, October 2, officials of NOAA Fisheries, a federal agency
designed to protect salmon, ordered their biologists to revise a report on
salmon and other endangered fish so that more water can be exported to
Southern California through the Delta.

The Bureau of Reclamation and Department of Water Resources are planning
“major changes” to the reservoirs, aqueducts and pumping facilities that
move water around California, freeing up more water for export.

According to Leavenworth, “In August, NOAA biologists issued a draft stating
that the plan ‘is likely to jeopardize the continued existence of Sacramento
winter-run Chinook salmon and Central Valley steelhead,’ as well as
spring-run salmon – and recommended measures to reduce these impacts.”

However, the Bureau. under pressure from Central Valley contractors, changed
the report to be less favorable to fish and more favorable to water
contractors. The revised document dramatically impacts the American River,
already besieged by low flows, as well as other Central Valley rivers.

First, the latest draft no longer calls for a minimum flow standard for the
American River as the original did. Fishery and environmental groups have
been pushing for flow and temperature standards for years, but the Bureau
has been stalling on adopting them.

Second, the document “softens the words for how the Bureau can avoid future
impacts on fish,” said Leavenworth.

“In the original report, NOAA biologists called on the Bureau of Reclamation
to reserve 450,00 to 600, 000 acre of water in Folsom Lake by September to
provide adequate supplies for returning salmon and steelhead. The latest
version changes the wording from ‘shall maintain’ to ‘shall target’ the
extra water,” said Leavenworth.

Jim Jones is outraged by the current state of affairs on the American. Jones
contends that it is clear that the Bureau of Reclamation is dragging their
feet and not acting in a collaborative way – and is acting in concert with
agribusiness to stop the implementation of the Central Valley Project
Improvement Act of 1992.

“The Bureau of Reclamation, Westlands, and other water users, are hell-bent
on getting long term contracts signed that will mean delivery of more
water--and less for fish and wildlife,” Jones said. “Their mission is to get
these contracts signed BEFORE a new standard is written, and what we must do
is prevent that from happening. Otherwise, the opportunity to provide needed
protection will be foreclosed. What we are seeing this year is a window to
the future--only worse.”

Jones recommended that anglers send letters of outrage to their Congressmen,
especially Representatives Richard Pombo and John Doolittle, demanding that
the Bureau uphold state and federal law and protect the fish of the American
and other Central Valley rivers before any water contracts are signed.
“These guys have been getting a free ride long enough,” concluded Jones.

Note: The flows from Nimbus Dam will go back up to 1500 cfs over the next
several days, the result of pressure by biologists, fishermen and
environmental groups.