[env-trinity] Salmon/Perch Combo Adventure on the Klamath (Draft)

Daniel Bacher danielbacher at hotmail.com
Fri Oct 15 11:07:48 PDT 2004

A Salmon/Perch Combo Adventure On The Klamath

by Dan Bacher

Anglers who fish the upper Klamath River below Iron Gate Dam have become
very spoiled with the sensational fishing that they have experienced most
years over the past decade.  While catching one to two fish per rod is a
great day on the Sacramento River, anglers going on drift boat trips on the
Klamath in the high desert country of Siskiyou County are used to hooking up
to 20 fish in a day.

However, the fishing is tougher this year, since the salmon appear to be
less aggressive than they usually are.  By most standards, the fishing on a
trip that   Richard Alves, Fish Sniffer Webmaster, and I made with Al
Kutzkey, fishing guide, was good. We hooked over eight king salmon, landing
three to 20 pounds, as well as releasing a half dozen beautiful wild and
hatchery rainbows to 15 inches, but the fishing was still slower than it has
been on previous trips we’ve made with Kutzkey.

We started off back bouncing salmon roe in the first hole below the
hatchery. I hooked and released a 15 pound salmon in the first 5 minutes,
but didn’t land another salmon for several more hours. Meanwhile, Richard
hooked several fish that came unbuttoned, but he finally landed a
hard-fighting 20 pounder after the sun came out downriver.

The guides and anglers were definitely working for their fish. We saw one
woman land five fish, but she was the high rod that day. We saw anglers
fishing with Billy Jesperson, Ron Denardi, and Mick Thomas hooking fish
also.

“The fish aren’t taking the bait as aggressively as they normally do and I’m
not sure why,” said Kutzkey. “We are hooking 6 to 12 salmon a trip, but
landing them some days is tough.”

All of the fish that we hooked were taken by back bouncing or side drifting
bait with salmon eggs, but Kutzkey said he is starting to see a little bite
on plugs in the early morning hours. “The bite has been slow in the early
morning, but has been coming on as the sun gets on the water and is slowing
around noon,” he noted.

Most of the salmon have been averaging about 10 to 13 pounds, but Kutzkey
reported nailing a couple of 30 pounders and a lot in the twenties over the
past few weeks. The biggest he’s heard to date is a 37 pounder.

Surprisingly enough, the numbers of fish the hatchery is seeing are only a
few hundred behind those of last year at this time. For example, the
hatchery had received 4,244 salmon by Tuesday, October 12, the day after our
trip. In comparison, the hatchery had received 4,517 fish by the same date
last year, according to Kim Rushton, manager of the Iron Gate Fish Hatchery.

The hatchery received 32,000 king salmon last year – and Rushton expects to
see the same amount of fish show again this year. This is well above the
average hatchery return, 17,000 fish, over the last 20 years. The hatchery
took 37,000 fish in 2002 and 72,000 in 2001, the record for the hatchery.

“The anglers are reporting slower fishing than normal this year, but our
hatchery returns are only down several hundred fish from last year,” Rushton
confirmed.

After we finished salmon fishing, I decided to try Iron Gate Reservoir for
yellow perch from the bank. Albert and his dad, Tim, love to eat the perch
out of the lake, so they fish the lake frequently in the spring. After
stopping to get worms and hooks at the Hornbrook Chevron, I drove up Copco
Lake Road to the reservoir, going all of the way to the end to the Klamath
River inlet.

Only two anglers were fishing in the inlet, the father son angling team of
Gary Phillips Sr. and Jr., who were on a combo perch fishing/deer hunting
trip. Although they didn’t bag any deer, Gary Jr. was pulling out a big
yellow perch about 12 inches long just after I had parked the car.

The lake was down about 10 feet, with a layer of mud along the shoreline.,
and I slogged through the mud, meanwhile catching several perch.

“There’s some space over here, so feel free to join us,” said Gary Sr. “Tie
a loop on the line about 2 feet above the line and put on a Kahle snelled
hook.”

I did just that and soon began catching one fish after another, all perch in
the 8 to 11 inch class, while using a threaded nightcrawler. The Kahle hook
really made the difference in getting good a good hook set.

For the next two hours, I had a total blast fishing with them and lost count
as I put a bunch of tasty perch into the ice chest. I finally disciplined
myself to get out of there to make the five-hour drive back to Sacramento.
Between salmon, trout and perch, I had a lot of fun hooking fish, even
though the salmon fishing wasn’t as good as it normally is.

The steelhead run has rebounded over the past four years on the Klamath
River. Kutzkey and other river guides are expecting to see another excellent
run this season. The steelhead are expected to follow the spawning salmon
into the river within the next few weeks.

For more information about fishing the Klamath River and Iron Gate Lake,
contact: Kutzkey's Guide Service, 710 Lane Street, Yreka, CA  96097, Phone:
530-842-2229.

Note: The river is still really low at this time, with releases of only 900
cfs from Iron Gate Dam. Be careful when rowing a drift boat and expect to
hit a few rocks.