[env-trinity] Fish Activists Forge Ahead After the Election

Daniel Bacher danielbacher at hotmail.com
Thu Nov 11 08:27:48 PST 2004

Fish Restoration Activists Forge Ahead After the Election

by Dan Bacher

Since the reelection of President George W. Bush in one of the most widely
contested elections in U.S. history, fishery and river restoration activists
have been regrouping and deciding how best to move forward.

The Bush administration distinguished itself for the damage its policies
caused to salmon, steelhead and other fisheries during the past four years.
Anglers and conservationists can expect to see similar challenges face us in
the next four years.

Key events over the past four years include:

• The Klamath River fish kill of September 2002, where over 68,000 salmon
died after the Department of Interior diverted river water to farmers at the
expense of fish.

• High pre-spawning mortality - 181,709 salmon over the past three falls -
on the lower American River due to low, warm water conditions caused by
Bureau of Reclamation mismanagement of Folsom Dam.

• A series of administration-imposed rewriting of scientific reports to
benefit agribusiness and industry at the expense of fish and wildlife. The
most recent example was when higher-ups in the federal government ordered
NOAA fisheries scientists to revise a biological opinion from “jeopardy” to
“no jeopardy” on the dangers of increased Delta diversions to endangered
fish.

The list could go on and on. However, what are the prospects for the years
ahead?

“The outcome of Tuesday’s election will very likely intensify the challenges
we all face protecting and restoring healthy, natural rivers,” said Rebecca
Wodder, president of American Rivers. “If the past is any indication, we can
expect the Bush administration and its allies in Congress to look the other
way as our streams grow more polluted, to place rivers last in line for
their own water, and to encourage the poorly planned sprawl development to
make both of these problems so much worse.”

However, Wodder said there is cause for optimism. “During the past four
years, local river and watershed organizations, individual activists, the
science community and national groups - the river movement – have
accomplished a lot despite the political climate in Washington and
elsewhere.”

She cited successful battles to defeat attacks on the Clean Water Act, as
well as the removal of over 110 dams in 20 states.

Zeke Grader, executive director of the Pacific Coast Federation of
Fishermen’s Associations, believes the problems that California and Pacific
Northwest fisheries have experienced over the past four years will be
amplified.

“The results of the election aren’t good from the standpoint of our three
main rivers, the Columbia, the Klamath and the Sacramento,” said Grader.
“Each had its problems under the Bush administration and I expect them to
get worse. Most people consider themselves pro-fish and for the environment,
so bringing the issues of our fisheries into the public spotlight is our
only hope.”

He said that fish activists should continue putting political pressure upon
the National Marine Fisheries Service to convince them to back their
biologists, rather than bending to political interference in writing
biological opinions.

“De watering streams or continuing dam operations that harm fish is a big
economic issue,” emphasized Grader. “We need to get the administration to
realize that these fish have economic value.”

Craig Tucker, outreach director of Friends of the River, concurred that the
election outcome makes the task of fish restoration more difficult on the
federal level. “The Department of Interior plays a big role in issues that
we’re working on, including Klamath Dam relicensing, renewal of the Central
Valley contracts and the proposed enlargement of Shasta Dam,” said Tucker.

He forecasts that restoration efforts will increasingly focus on litigation.
“In the past, we have used litigation as a last resort,” said Tucker. “With
the reelection of the president, we can expect to rely more on litigation in
our environmental battles.”

On the state level, Tucker is more optimistic, since Governor Schwarzenegger
recently signed all three bills that FOR sponsored. This legislation
includes Senator Wes Chesbro’s bill strengthening  the environmental
protections for California's Wild & Scenic Rivers ( SB 904); Senator Mike
Machado’s Delta Water Use bill (SB 1155) mandating the state Department of
Water Resources to develop a plan to meet water quality standards for the
Bay Delta estuary; and a bill requiring Sacramento and other cities to use
water meters.

In the coming years, Tucker said FOR is researching the possibility of
extending state “wild and scenic” status to Cache Creek, the North Fork of
the Stanislaus and the Clavey River.

Bob Strickland, president of United Anglers of California, forecasts that we
will see increasing attempts to remove environmental protections for fish
and wildlife with four more years of the Bush administration.

“My feeling is that the administration won’t do a thing to protect the
environment and natural resources,” said Strickland. “For this reason, it is
crucial that fishermen and the environmental groups work together for clean
air and clean water. We need to look at the whole resource, not just trees
and fish.”

On the state level, Strickland urged environmental and fish groups to make
sure that all diversions are properly screened to prevent the entrapment of
juvenile salmon and steelhead. He also believes that to promote water
conservation, state legislation requiring water meters for agricultural
users should be considered.

The effectiveness of litigation as a tool for fish restoration was
demonstrated by recent court victories by the Hoopa Valley Tribe in their
decades-long struggle to restore the Trinity River. The federal Ninth
Circuit Court of Appeals on November 5 rejected a petition by the Westlands
Water District and the Northern California Power Agency (NCPA) to prolong
the Trinity River litigation with a rehearing.

“This is yet another hard-fought legal battle in our efforts to save the
Trinity River,” said Clifford Lyle Marshall, chairman of the Hoopa Valley
Tribe. “We are pleased that the court has upheld its decision because
continued litigation will only cause undue delays with the restoration of
the river.”

“The court system is where the water wars are fought,” added Billy
Colegrove, vice-chair of the tribe. “Maybe the farmers will see the light at
the end of the tunnel and see that restoration is good for them as well as
the fish.”

We face many challenges in the coming four years to restore and enhance our
salmon, steelhead and other fisheries. That is why it so crucial that
recreational anglers, commercial fishermen, Indian tribes, environmental
groups and small farmers put aside our differences to work for the common
cause of the fish and the environment.