[env-trinity] Federal Agents Investigate Steelhead Poisoning at Monterey Bay Hatchery

Daniel Bacher danielbacher at hotmail.com
Sun Apr 10 13:49:12 PDT 2005

Federal Agents Conduct Investigation Of Steelhead Poisoning At Monterey Bay
Hatchery

by Dan Bacher

Federal law enforcement agents from NOAA Fisheries were called to the
Monterey Bay Salmon and Trout Project’s Fish Hatchery near Davenport on
March 18 to investigate the apparent poisoning of 12 steelhead trout in a
freshwater holding tank.

Steelhead trout in central California are protected under the federal
Endangered Species Act (ESA). Because of the killing of these fish,
steelhead production at the volunteer-supported facility may be cut 50 to 60
percent this year.

The NOAA Fisheries Office for Law Enforcement is seeking the public’s
assistance and offering a $5,000 reward for information leading to the
conviction of the person or persons responsible for the death of the
federally-protected fish.

“This is more than just a minor act of vandalism or prank,” said Special
Agent Joe Giordano, NOAA Fisheries Office for Law Enforcement - Southwest
Division. “This is a serious federal offense and we intend to apprehend and
prosecute whoever committed this crime.”

At press time, NOAA Fisheries was in the process of investigating leads in
the case, according to special Agent Steve Myer in Sacramento,

Anyone with information concerning this incident should call Special Agent
Giordano at (707) 575-6073 or the Office for Law Enforcement hotline at
toll-free, 1-800-853-1964.

“The steelhead were originally transported from San Lorenzo River to the
hatchery to be used as a breeding stock in re-populating the native species
to the various streams within the watershed,” according to NOAA.

Steelhead in the San Lorenzo River are listed as “threatened” under the ESA.
The penalty for “taking” a listed threatened species under the ESA is up to
$13,200 and up to six months in jail.”

The hatchery is still trapping steelhead at the inflated dam installed by
the City of Santa Cruz on the San Lorenzo River, so hopefully the project
will receive more fish this year. Instead of releasing 50,000 to 60,000
steelhead smolts as they do every year, the project may release only 25,000
to 30,000 steelhead.

The loss of the adult steelhead may also result in the elimination of the
STEP Program’s steelhead program in Santa Cruz area schools this year. In
this program, students in K through 12 schools raise eyed steelhead eggs in
tanks for 45 days until they are ready to be released into the stream,
according to Larry Wolf, board member of the Monterey Bay Salmon and Trout
Project.

The hatchery is a state of the art facility that is the only private,
non-profit hatchery south of Smith River. The organization releases
approximately 80,000 steelhead trout, 60,000 endangered coho salmon and
240,000 king salmon in Monterey Bay or local streams that flow into Monterey
Bay.

“We’re the only hatchery certified to handle endangered coho salmon through
a section 10 permit with the National Marine Fishery Service,” said Wolf.

The project also has the unique distinction of preventing the Carmel River
steelhead run from becoming extinct by maintaining the fish in pens during
the drought of the early 1990’s when the Carmel didn’t flow to the ocean.

Four years ago, the project began operating the Santa Cruz harbor salmon net
pen. They also replaced the old net pen at Moss Landing Harbor with a new
net pen identical to the one placed in Santa Cruz harbor.

“In the last 10 years, we have released over 2 million king salmon into
Monterey Bay,” said Wolf. “Reports coming in from Fish and Game on the
harvest of ocean salmon indicate that our hatchery fish have a 800 percent
higher survey rate than salmon fry released from large federal and state
hatcheries directly into our rivers and streams.”

I find it appalling that anybody would attack the fine work of an
organization such as the Monterey Bay Salmon and Trout Project. This project
has done more on a shoestring budget to restore endangered salmon and trout
populations in the Monterey Bay region than any other group.

The project, with the exception of the full time fishery biologist, Dave
Streig, is completely run by volunteers. Streig, Wolf and the many project
volunteers I’ve met over the years are some of the most dedicated people
involved in salmon and steelhead restoration in California.

This year’s budget is only $105,000 – and the project accomplishes
tremendous work for such a small budget.  All of the fish raised in the
hatchery are from wild stock obtained from trapping on the San Lorenzo
River; so all of the fish they raise are wild in origin.  I hope the
individuals who committed the vandalism are soon found and prosecuted.

Meanwhile, the killing of the brood stock steelhead in a detestable criminal
act makes it even more crucial that the main fundraiser for the
organization, the Annual Mammoth Monterey Bay Big Fish Derby, be a huge
success.

The derby this year will take place on July 1, 2 and 3. As the result of
budget cuts in Sacramento, the project has experienced the loss of the
majority of its public funding, so the project is depending upon this
fundraiser, its annual dinner and contributions to keep its great programs
going.

For more information about the derby or how you can help the project, call
Larry Wolf, (831) 688-4255 or by email at Mbstp at aol.com. You can visit their
updated web site at www.mbstp.org.