[env-trinity] AP- Judge says statute of limitations gone in Klamath Tribes' lawsuit Against PacifiCorp

Tom Stokely tstokely at trinityalps.net
Fri Apr 22 08:44:44 PDT 2005

Judge says statute of limitations gone in lawsuit
4/21/2005, 2:50 p.m. PT
http://www.oregonlive.com/newsflash/regional/index.ssf?/base/news-10/1114119893213521.xml&storylist=orlocal
The Associated Press

MEDFORD, Ore. (AP) - A federal magistrate judge in Medford says a $1 billion lawsuit by members of the Klamath Tribes against PacifiCorp for the loss of salmon should be thrown out because the statute of limitations expired in 1971.

The action was filed last May. Judge John P. Cooney recommended that it be dismissed.

The tribes claim the dams on the Klamath River destroyed their 1864 treaty rights to fish for salmon in the rivers' headwaters.

Dam construction on the river started in 1908 and ended in 1967. Salmon migration stops at Iron Gate Dam, the lowest on the Klamath River, in California's Siskiyou County.

"We argued that it was untimely, and the judge agreed," said Jon Coney, PacifiCorp spokesman.

The case moves to Eugene where a district judge will decide whether the case should be dismissed.

The tribe was terminated in 1954. Tribal members retain hunting and fishing rights even though they no longer have a reservation. Tribal status was restored in 1986 and the tribes want reservation land again.

PacifiCorp has four hydroelectric dams on the river plus a flood control dam.

Dan Israel, a lawyer for the Tribes, said a federal appeals court may have to decide the issue.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
© 2005 OregonLive.com All Rights Reserved.

          Klamath Restoration Council

          Our mission is to restore and protect the uniquely diverse ecosystem
          and promote the sustainable management of natural resources in the entire Klamath River
          watershed.
          We believe this will be accomplished with actions and legislation that integrate sound and
          proven techniques based on tribal knowledge, local experience and the best of Western Science.

          http://www.pelicannetwork.net/krc.htm

          Mail:  Box 214  Salmon River Outpost       Somes Bar, CA  95568          Phone: 530 627 3054

          Visit our Salmon Gallery: http://www.pelicannetwork.net/salmongallery.htm

  The Salmon Coalition is not a list serv.  It is an email list moderated by Pelican Network for the Klamath Restoration Council.  The web site is http://www.pelicannetwork.net/salmon.htm
  We are an information network of information and conservation advocacy.  We formed the
  Salmon Coalition in December of 2002 at the Salmon Summit at the Yurok Tribal offices.  If
  you do not want to receive messages from Salmon Coalition, just reply with "remove" in the
  subject line.
  Visit our Salmon Gallery: http://www.pelicannetwork.net/salmongallery.htm