[env-trinity] Action Alert For North Coast Salmon & Wilderness

Daniel Bacher danielbacher at hotmail.com
Fri Jul 8 15:41:24 PDT 2005

Dear Friend of the wild North Coast,

We need your help to counter the work of the anti-environmental shock troops
against H.R. 233, a measure by Congressman Mike Thompson that would protect
a handful of the last roadless public lands in the Klamath~Siskiyou and
Redwood regions.

These public wildlands not only are refugia for an array of rare plants,
birds and animals, such as the Darlingtonia, northern goshawk and the
wolverine, but for humans seeking solitude in an increasingly troubled
world.  Most of the would-be protected areas also provide the last streams
carrying pristine cold water to rivers where salmon and steelhead struggle
to thrive.

The East Fork of Blue Creek is one prime example.  Protecting this area as
part of the wilderness system would spare a low-elevation, old-growth forest
that provides remarkable cold and clear water to the main-stem of Blue
Creek--the most significant lower Klamath river tributary for fall Chinook
and Coho salmon. Protecting such areas is key to restoration of the wild
Klamath salmon.

Recently the Blue Ribbon Coalition [BRC] caused a stir in Del Norte
County--where Blue Creek flows--by falsely claiming to the Board of
Supervisors there that protection for the East Fork would create a fire
hazard for nearby communities and close roads to off-road vehicles.  These
are falsehoods because there are no nearby communities to the East Fork, and
there are no roads to be closed.

The Blue Ribbon Coalition's funders have included: the American Forest and
Paper Association, American Petroleum Institute, Boise Cascade, Battle
Mountain Gold, Chevron, Colorado Mining Association, Crown Butte Mines,
Exxon, Louisiana Pacific, Marathon Oil, Rocky Mountain Oil and Gas, Ski-Doo,
Suzuki and Yamaha to name a few.

Even the Republicans for Environmental Protection [REP] have decried the
BRC's tactics, saying in 2002:

"The Blue Ribbon Coalition is peddling an unbalanced, extreme position on
Public Lands access that is curtailing the very freedom they say they're
re-defending.  The freedom to enjoy our public lands, our American heritage,
is being diminished by the intrusive proliferation of motorized vehicles
throughout the public domain, the lands that belong to every American
citizen."

Please turn me over...

On the other hand, the Thompson wilderness bill (H.R. 233) is the product of
many meetings and the involvement of many governmental officials throughout
the district.

Every Humboldt County Supervisor has endorsed Thompson's measure.  The areas
in it also were included in the Boxer/Feinstein wilderness bill that passed
the Republican-dominated U.S. Senate last December.

On July 14, the  House Resources Committee will hold a hearing on the
Thompson bill.  Opponents hope to get areas like the East Fork of Blue Creek
carved out, and we need your support to give some balance.

Your letters will bolster the hearing record and show that many reasonable
people,  businesses and organizations do support the Thompson measure.
Please send a letter to the addresses below today, but no later than July
22.   Ask that your letter be included in the hearing record.

If you would like more information on this important measure, please call me
at 707-822-6918 or go to:
<http://www.govtrack.us/congress/bill.xpd?bill=h109-233> or
<http://www.californiawild.org> for more details.

The NEC continues to work for the protection of our Redwood Coast and
Klamath~Siskiyou wildlands.  Your tax-deductible contributions enable us to
work for protections for our region's wild places.  If you can help out with
a donation--we will be able to get the message out to more people.  We
deeply appreciate your support.

Sincerely,

*
Tim McKay, executive director

P.S., Please get your support letters in as soon as possible to:

The Honorable Richard W. Pombo, Chairman
House Resources Committee
1324 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515-6201

The letters should also be cc'd to:

The Honorable Nick J. Rahall, II, Ranking Member
House Resources Committee
1329 Longworth House Office Building
Washington, DC 20515-6201

And, if you can, we'd love to have a copy of your letter, to.

Tim McKay, executive director, (707) 822-6918 (w), 677-3172 (h)
Northcoast Environmental Center
575 H Street
Arcata CA 95521
www.yournec.org