[env-trinity] Cheakamus River (British Columbia) Sodium Hydroxide spill 5 Aug 05

Dennis Garrison dgarrison at fs.fed.us
Sun Aug 7 14:51:04 PDT 2005

I know it is not a NorCal event, but I thought the people on this list
might like to hear about this.  It has received VERY little press, and what
it has had has been very ho-hum in terms of possible impacts.  In short, a
train derailment in BC led to a car with 51,000 liters of sodium hydroxide
(lye) spilling into the Cheakamus River near Whistler.  Echoes of Cantera.
The only way I knew about this was a posting on a flyfishing bulletin
board.  There is a photo on the front page of the Vancouver Sun's website
this morning.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20050805.wtrain0805/BNStory/Front

http://www.canada.com/vancouver/vancouversun/news/story.html?id=64aad25a-eae5-47f6-a53f-cbc335e35f3f

http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/LondonFreePress/News/2005/08/07/1162494-sun.html