[env-trinity] Klamath River algae levels increase

Josh Allen jallen at trinitycounty.org
Mon Sep 19 10:25:23 PDT 2005

Klamath River algae levels increase
Ann Johnson-Stromberg
Eureka Times Standard

KLAMATH -- The Yurok Tribe and the Humboldt County Environmental Health
Department are warning tribal members and recreational users of the
Klamath River about the dangers of toxic algae.

New tests from Iron Gate and Copco reservoirs have indicated a possible
health risk and on Wednesday tribal members were issuing written
warnings to reservation villages along the river. New toxin levels have
yet to be determined, but according to Troy Fletcher, interim executive
director of the Yurok Tribe, rashes and illness have been reported by
tribal members.

Animals and children seem to be particularly susceptible to the effects
of blue green algae and as a precaution the tribe is recommending pets
and children not swim in the river. As this is the height of salmon
season, they are also asking fishermen to clean fish with fresh water
and to dispose of the innards away from the river or where animals could
eat them. Some fish organs seem to retain the algae toxins.

Fletcher said he met with environmental health representatives, the
health department and 1st District Supervisor Jimmy Smith in an effort
to shore up support in getting the word to the public.

"Toxic algae levels at these reservoirs are the highest levels that have
ever been sampled to my knowledge, and we all know water flows down
stream," Fletcher said. "That certainly has an impact on the river water
quality below the hydrofacility and it concerned us enough and Karuk
Tribe enough to notify the county."

If children or animals do go in the water, Environmental Health
Department Director Brian Cox said they should avoid the stagnant,
warmer waters where algae blooms are prevalent, and rinse off with fresh
water afterwards. Health risks when exposed to mycrosystis, the toxic
strain of blue green algae include: vomiting, rash, diarrhea, stomach
cramps and liver problems.

Several years ago dogs had reportedly died after exposure to the algae
in the South Fork of the Eel River and Big Lagoon. Reservoir algae
levels so far are much higher than those tested in the Eel River and Big
Lagoon after the animals died, Cox said.

"In some cases animals were dying within 24 to 48 hours of exposure, in
others it was within just a few hours," Cox said. "Blue green algae is a
complicated little creature and we just don't know enough about it yet."

For now Fletcher said the tribe will continue to monitor the river and
work with local authorities to keep the public abreast of new
developments.

"We need to insure there is adequate and timely sampling," he said. "On
the longer term we need to work together to address the larger water
quality problems of the hydroelectric facility."

For more information about algae risks call the Department of Health and
Human Services Environmental Health Division at 445-6215.