[env-trinity] Trinity Floodplain Modification Appropriation

Byron bwl3 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 10 15:14:32 PST 2005

The House and Senate conference committee has approved legislation that
includes a $500,000 appropriation this year for Trinity River floodplain
modifications to accommodate flows in wet and extremely wet water years.
These modifications are key to re-establishing this alluvial river and a
restored fishery population.

This appropriation was the result of efforts by Congressmen George Miller
and Mike Thompson and by Senator Barbara Boxer.  We enlisted and initiated
their support.

The full cost of these modifications is about $6 million.  However, the
Energy and Water legislation had passed the full House and the Senate
Committee before our effort was started so it was added in the House/Senate
conference committee.  Hopefully, next year we will be able to obtain the
balance of funds needed to accomplish floodplain modifications.  These
modifications ultimately are critical if the Trinity River is to be
restored.

Byron Leydecker,

Chair, Friends of Trinity River

Consultant, California Trout, Inc.