[env-trinity] Eureka Reporter- Congress approves $5.64 million for water projects

Tom Stokely tstokely at trinityalps.net
Sat Nov 12 09:03:29 PST 2005

http://www.eurekareporter.com/ArticleDisplay.aspx?ArticleID=5656

            Congress approves $5.64 million for water projects
            11/11/2005

            U.S. Rep. Mike Thompson (D-Napa) was able to secure $5.64 million for Humboldt County water projects in the federal government's energy and water spending bill for 2006, which was approved by Congress this week.

            Restoration funds totalling $500,000 will go toward the Trinity River flood plain and $450,000 will be allocated to the Salt River restoration project. Both of these projects will significantly benefit salmon populations along the North Coast.

            Thompson worked with Rep. George Miller (D-Martinez) and California senators Dianne Feinstein and Barbara Boxer to secure the funding in order to expedite the restoration of the Trinity River flood plain. "I would like to thank my colleagues for their dedication to restoring California's salmon habitats," Thompson said. "We must make every effort to aid in the restoration of these important species."

            Thompson also noted the importance of maintaining Humboldt Bay to ensure the safety of both vessels and passengers. The spending bill also included $4.562 million for operations and maintenance dredging of the bay, as well as $125,000 for a Long-Term Shoal Management Study.

            The House of Representatives passed the FY2006 Energy and Water Appropriations Act Conference Report this week. The Senate is expected to pass it before the end of the week and the president will sign it shortly thereafter.

      Copyright (C) 2005, The Eureka Reporter. All rights reserved.