[env-trinity] Fw: NY Times Article and Responses from the Water User Community

Tom Stokely tstokely at trinityalps.net
Wed Mar 8 14:11:31 PST 2006

----- Original Message -----
From: Dan Keppen
To: 'Dan Keppen'
Sent: Wednesday, March 08, 2006 12:11 PM
Subject: NY Times Article and Responses from the Water User Community

Last Friday, as the Family Farm Alliance annual conference was wrapping up, several people came into the meeting room, waving copies of the March 3 edition of the New York Times. On the front cover, just below the crease, ran a story by Timothy Egan that assessed Jason Peltier's role at the U.S. Interior Department ("For Thirsty Farmers, Old Friends at Interior Dep't"). Several speakers at the conference expressed anger and dismay at this article, including Peltier's boss at Interior, Mark Limbaugh, who sounded support for Peltier, whose role in the Bush administration was attacked earlier that day in the New York Times article.

"Jason is doing excellent work for me, professionally and to high standards," said Limbaugh. "The article in the New York Times is a hatchet job and really bothers me."

Peltier is the former manager of the Central Valley Project Water Association (CALIFORNIA).

The Times offered predictable arguments that Bush Administration cronies are co-opting the democratic process. It is ironic, but not surprising, that John Leshy, a Clinton appointee at Interior, is quoted in the article. While Egan wrings his hands over Peltier's links with the water user community, no mention is made of Leshy's ties to some of the most vocal anti-farming groups in the country, including the Natural Resources Defense Council, where he worked for five years, prior to his appointment at Interior. Further, no mention is made of Leshy's former role as Special Counsel to Rep. George Miller (CALIFORNIA), who is also critical of Peltier's role in the Times article.

I've attached the original NY Times article to this message. Three relevant and well-written responses from the water user community are pasted below, authored by former Interior Assistant Secretary Bennett Raley (COLORADO), Family Farm Alliance president Patrick O'Toole (WYOMING), and Mike Wade, of the California Farm Water Coalition.

Dan Keppen