[env-trinity] Thompson introduces amendment for fishing assistance

Tom Stokely tstokely at trinityalps.net
Wed Jun 28 07:54:26 PDT 2006

      FYI, the Trinity County Board of Supervisors has requested that the Governor and federal govt also proclaim a Fishing State of Emergency in Trinity County.  I should have a scanned copy of the resolution shortly.  If anyone would like a copy, please send me a private e-mail and I'll send it to you.

      Sincerely,

      Tom Stokely
      Principal Planner
      Trinity Co. Planning/Natural Resources
      PO Box 2819
      190 Glen Rd.
      Weaverville, CA 96093-2819
      530-623-1351, ext. 3407
      FAX 623-1353
      tstokely at trinityalps.net or tstokely at trinitycounty.org

      Article Launched: 06/28/2006 04:27:30 AM PDT
http://www.times-standard.com/local/ci_3989225
Thompson introduces amendment for fishing assistance
      The Times-Standard

      NOAA says no aid until February; governor joins call for relief

      WASHINGTON, D.C. -- North Coast Congressman Mike Thompson late Tuesday introduced an amendment to an appropriations bill to try to obtain assistance for coastal salmon fishermen.

      The congressman's action came after he and other members of Congress met with officials of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration.

      ”A group of us met with NOAA fisheries today and they told us they aren't going to do anything for us,” Thompson said Tuesday in a telephone interview.

      Thompson said NOAA told the congressional delegation there would be no assistance until February.

      ”We are going to try to get an amendment passed for $81 million needed for disaster relief” in the Commerce Appropriations bill, Thompson said. He added, however, “We don't think in our wildest dreams that it will pass.”

      The attempt, he said, is to “tell our story that this administration is ignoring us up and down the coast.”

      Thompson also referred to a letter from Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger to Commerce Secretary Carlos M. Gutierrez, which Thompson said is “the best letter out of his office about anything.”

      In his letter, Schwarzenegger said: “I cannot understand why another day needs to pass without a declaration of disaster for California's salmon fishing season. Fishermen

      who rely on a full season to pay the bills have been restricted to approximately 20 percent of their normal season. It is within your authority to declare a disaster. I urge your immediate action to provide the relief necessary to fishermen, business owners and fishing-dependent communities. Without your assistance, those who rely on commercial salmon fishing may lose their boats, permanently shut their doors or be forced out of their livelihoods.”

      Last week, NOAA spokesman Jordan St. John said the fact that there is limited fishing allowed this year makes it difficult to determine whether there is a real, not just projected, effect on the industry, which he claimed is a requirement under the Magnuson-Stevens Fisheries Act. Only then can the U.S. secretary of commerce make a declaration, he said, adding that such a determination is in progress.

      Schwarzenegger's letter, dated Monday, follows an earlier push for a disaster declaration by him and the governor of Oregon.

      http://www.times-standard.com/local/ci_3989215

      Article Launched: 06/28/2006 04:24:19 AM PDT

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger's letter to the Secretary of Commerce
      The Times-Standard

      GOVERNOR ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER

      June 26, 2006

      The Honorable Carlos M. Gutierrez Secretary of Commerce US. Department of Commerce 1401 Constitution Avenue, NW Washington, DC 20230

      Dear Mr. Secretary,

      I cannot understand why another day needs to pass without a declaration of disaster for California's salmon fishing season. Fishermen who rely on a full season to pay the bills have been restricted to approximately 20 percent of their normal season. It is within your authority to declare a disaster. I urge your immediate action to provide the relief necessary to fishermen, business owners and fishing-dependent communities. Without your assistance, those who rely on commercial salmon fishing may lose their boats, permanently shut their doors or be forced out of their livelihoods.

      The federal government's decision this year to substantially reduce the salmon season along the California and Oregon coasts and eliminate the in-river fishery has created a substantial economic hardship in these areas. Yet despite declarations of emergencies in California and Oregon, requests from Governor Ted Kulongoski and me that you use your authority to determine there has been a commercial fishery failure and continuous technical support from my staff, you have not accepted the seriousness of this situation. I am at a loss as to what further information you need so that our fishing-dependent communities can become eligible to receive disaster assistance.

      These same fishermen worked extensively and in a professional manner with the states and your agency to provide the data to allow a limited commercial fishery this year. But it was clear at that time that the limited fishery would not be enough for the 'families to sustain themselves and their businesses, and it was not a substitute for necessary disaster assistance. These hardworking families and their communities deserve an explanation for why your immediate attention has been on hold.

      In a letter dated April 5 2006, I requested that you use your authority under the MagnusonStevens Act to determine there has been a commercial fishery failure and therefore make fishing dependent communities eligible to receive economic disaster assistance.

      Our request was supported by the National Ocean and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) southwest regional office. In your April 19 reply to me, you stated that you recognize the Klamath Basin is in trouble. For this reason, I was disappointed to learn that your department has now reportedly rejected NOAA's recommendation, an action that further delays the provision of disaster assistance that is critically needed along the Northern California and Oregon coasts.

      California has invested millions of dollars to restore salmon habitats through partnerships with the federal government, local agencies and non-profit organizations. In addition, Governor Kulongoski and I, along with your department and other federal agencies, signed "The Klamath River Watershed Coordination Agreement." This agreement calls for development of a long-term management approach, common vision and integrated planning associated with the Klamath Basin. I remain tirelessly committed to that agreement and the approach it dictates.

      Our efforts to restore critical habitat, however, do not address the immediate needs of fishermen and communities who are literally on the verge of bankruptcy. Earlier this month, I proclaimed a state of emergency in 10 California counties affected by the federal government's decision to reduce the salmon season and made available loan guarantees to those in need of financial assistance. I also requested the State Legislature approve $10 million in additional state funds to be invested for restoration in the Klamath Basin this year. While my administration has acted within its authority to address this crisis and to assist the people and communities hurt by this federal decision, corresponding federal assistance or even an acknowledgment of the need is missing. I strongly urge you to review these issues and act quickly to help. I look forward to your favorable reply.