[env-trinity] P R O C L A M A T I O N -Governor Schwarzenegger Proclaims Assistance Measures for California Salmon Fishermen

Tom Stokely tstokely at trinityalps.net
Fri Jun 30 15:34:35 PDT 2006

           Please click here to return to the previous page.
              Proclamation

                       Governor Schwarzenegger Proclaims Assistance Measures for California Salmon Fishermen

                        EXECUTIVE DEPARTMENT

                        STATE OF CALIFORNIA

                        P R O C L A M A T I O N
                        by the
                        Governor of the State of California

                        WHEREAS California's salmon runs are a vital component of our great State's resources that provide significant environmental, recreational, commercial, and economic benefits to the people; and

                        WHEREAS Klamath River Basin Chinook Salmon have been significantly impacted by poor ocean conditions, drought, water management, water quality, water flows, disease, and the elimination of access to historical spawning habitat; and

                        WHEREAS the Klamath Basin Chinook Salmon that commingle with other runs of salmon in ocean waters off of California and Oregon have been declining in abundance to a point where California's and Oregon's recreational, commercial, and tribal fisheries are being significantly constrained to conserve Klamath River Chinook Salmon; and

                        WHEREAS Klamath River Basin Chinook Salmon are predicted to have extremely low ocean abundance for 2006 in waters from Cape Falcon in Oregon to Point Sur in Monterey County, California, and in the Klamath River Basin; and

                        WHEREAS restoration of habitat and improved water quality and flows are critical to restoring an environment suitable to the long-term sustainability of the Klamath River Basin Chinook Salmon and other anadromous fish species; and

                        WHEREAS appropriate management of the Klamath River Basin Chinook Salmon population is critical to California's businesses, and local communities that provide goods and services in support of California's salmon fisheries; and

                        WHEREAS on April 5, 2006, I requested Secretary of Commerce Carlos Gutierrez to use his authority under the Magnusen-Stevens Fishery Conservation and Management Act to determine that there has been a commercial fishery failure due to a fishery resource disaster; and

                        WHEREAS on April 28, 2006, the National Marine Fisheries Service adopted an emergency rule to implement the recommendations of the Pacific Fisheries Management Council that resulted in severe restrictions on the commercial ocean salmon and Klamath Basin tribal and recreational fisheries and included restrictions on the recreational ocean salmon fishery; and

                        WHEREAS these restrictions will have significant impacts to California's commercial ocean salmon and in-river salmon fisheries and will result in severe economic losses throughout the State; and

                        WHEREAS the Department of Finance has determined that approximately $778,000 is continuously appropriated and available in the Small Business Expansion Fund (Fund 918) for disaster purposes under the Corporations Code section 14030 et seq.; and

                        WHEREAS the Small Business Expansion Fund's available monies can be leveraged to guarantee up to approximately $9.2 million in loans for disasters, including guaranteeing loans to prevent business insolvencies and loss of employment in an area affected by a state of emergency within the State; and

                        WHEREAS Governor Ted Kulongoski of Oregon and I signed The Klamath River Watershed Coordination Agreement along with the responsible federal agencies in order to address the impacts to the fisheries in the region and to develop a long-term management approach, common vision, and integrated planning associated with the Klamath Basin; and

                        WHEREAS on June 6, 2006, I proclaimed a state of emergency for the California counties of Monterey, Santa Cruz, San Mateo, San Francisco, Marin, Sonoma, Mendocino, Humboldt, Del Norte, and Siskiyou counties due to the poor ocean conditions, drought, water management, water quality, water flows, disease, and the elimination of access to historical spawning habitat and resulting from the significant restrictions that have been imposed on the State's salmon fisheries; and

                        WHEREAS the serious circumstances of the Klamath River Chinook Salmon run put at risk the livelihoods of families and businesses dependent upon them.

                        NOW, THEREFORE, I, ARNOLD SCHWARZENEGGER, Governor of the State of California, find that conditions of disaster or of extreme peril to the safety of persons and property exist within the additional California counties of San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Trinity due to the poor ocean conditions, drought, water management, water quality, water flows, disease, and the elimination of access to historical spawning habitat and resulting from the significant restrictions that have been imposed on the State's salmon fisheries. Because the magnitude of this disaster will likely exceed the capabilities of the services, personnel, and facilities of these counties, I find these counties to be in a state of emergency, and under the authority of the California Emergency Services Act, I hereby proclaim that a State of Emergency exists in these counties.

                        I DIRECT the Secretary of the Business, Housing and Transportation Agency, with the cooperation of the Department of Finance, to activate the Small Business Disaster Assistance Loan Guarantee Program to guarantee loans to prevent business insolvencies and loss of employment in the counties of San Luis Obispo, Santa Barbara, and Trinity as a result of this State of Emergency.

                        I FURTHER DIRECT that to ensure that adequate assistance is available to individuals who have lost their jobs in the 13 counties where I have proclaimed a State of Emergency, the Secretary of the Labor and Workforce Development Agency and the Director of the Employment Development Department shall make available additional assistance grants in those circumstances where the local Dislocated Worker formula allocation is not adequate to cover the demand for services to individuals who have lost their jobs as a result of this State of Emergency and my previous June 6, 2006 State of Emergency.

                        I FURTHER DIRECT the Director of the Department of Fish and Game to refund any fishing license fee issued for the current 2006 commercial salmon season and to waive fishing license fees for the 2007 commercial salmon season.

                        I FURTHER DIRECT that as soon as hereafter possible, this proclamation be filed in the Office of the Secretary of State and that widespread publicity and notice be given of this proclamation.

                             IN WITNESS WHEREOF  I have here unto set my hand and caused the Great Seal of the State of California to be affixed this the twenty-ninth day of June 2006.

                              /s/ Arnold Schwarzenegger

                              Governor of California

                        * * *