[env-trinity] Hoopa Valley Tribe/Westlands Water District

Byron Leydecker bwl3 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 25 12:05:38 PST 2007

Hoopa Valley Tribe Protests Westlands Water District Grab on Trinity
River

May. 17, 2006 at 9:27 AM
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Media Contact: Clifford Lyle Marshall (530) 625-4211
Mike Orcutt (530) 625-4267 ext. 13
Tod Bedrosian (916) 421-5121

Hoopa, Calif. - The Hoopa Valley Tribe has asked the Bureau of
Reclamation (BOR) to not renew the long-term contracts with the
largest consumers of irrigation water in the Central Valley until
those contracts are revised to protect the Trinity River. The tribe
also has called on the contractors to stop trying to take water and
money from the restoration of the Trinity River.

The Westlands Water District and San Luis & Delta Water Authority in
the Central Valley have shown a "persistent antagonism," towards
plans for restoration of the river, which bisects the reservation,
according to Hoopa Valley Tribal Chairman Clifford Lyle Marshall.

In an April 24 letter to the U.S. Department of Interior Marshall
asserted the proposed water contract language contradicts laws and
court decisions guaranteeing enough water be left in the Trinity
River to support the river's fishery.

"For decades the BOR has allowed these water districts to pillage and
ruin the natural fishery of the Trinity River. Now, after
Congressional action and litigation ordering the restoration of the
river these contractors are trying to drill a water line in the back
door of the bureaucracy to circumvent the law," said Marshall.

"The fish populations in the Trinity and Klamath rivers are at such a
crisis low level this year's commercial fishing season had been
almost been eliminated. This year's small salmon run is because of
the devastating after effects of the 2002 fish kill," said Marshall.
"Now we have enough water in an obviously extremely wet year and
these water contractors want to take water away from the fish that
survived. "

In an April 19 letter Westlands attorneys ask the BOR to classify
this year's water forecast as a "wet year," not an "extremely wet
year," thus creating a formula reducing the Trinity River water some
80,000 to 100,000 acre feet this year. The same letter ends with a
threat of litigation. "We would prefer that this matter be addressed
without renewed litigation," writes Westlands attorney Dan O'Hanlon.
"However, we reserve the right to seek injunctive relief against the
proposed unlawful released if there is no prompt corrective action."
Westlands is also disputing their obligation to pay for environmental
restoration under the Central Valley Project Improvement Act (CVPIA).

Marshall said Westlands litigious strategy, "unreasonably consumes
time and resources of both the Tribe and the United States, and
threatens the fishery resources that the United States holds in trust
for our Tribe." He said the water contractors should accept the will
of Congress and the courts and stop trying to intimidate the BOR with
threats of litigation.

The degradation of the Trinity River fishery began in 1955 when
Congress authorized diversions of the river's water to the Central
Valley. The act said enough water would be left in the river to
support the fishery, but spawning runs have diminished since the
diversions began. The BOR began diversion in l964, taking up to 90
percent of the river's water in some years. In the l992 Congress
passed the CVPIA, which included cooperative restoration studies by
the tribe and the Department of Interior. The studies culminated in a
Record of Decision (ROD) signed by Department of Interior Secretary
Bruce Babbitt in 2000 agreeing to a river restoration plan. Westlands
and Central Valley hydropower users sued to stop the river
restoration work.

Conditions worsened until 2002 when some 68,000 fish died in the
linked Trinity and Klamath rivers. In 2004 the U.S. Court of Appeals
ruled in favor of the Department of Interior and the tribe to allow
the implementation of the ROD.

"The Hoopa Valley Tribe will not stop fighting those who are trying
to destroy this river and the fish. We have no choice. We do not have
another river that flows though our ancestral land and blood. The
fish do not have another river to spawn in," said Marshall. "If the
BOR approves these water contracts they will be ignoring the will of
Congress and the rulings of courts calling for the restoration of the
Trinity River."

Byron Leydecker

Friends of Trinity River, Chair

California Trout,Inc., Advisor