[env-trinity] From Oregon Wild

Byron Leydecker bwl3 at comcast.net
Tue Mar 13 09:53:43 PDT 2007

Howdy folks,

Oregon Wild and Earthjustice are putting together a sign-on letter to
Congress on disaster relief for commercial fishing communities hit by the
Klamath closures, and $$ to support fish and wildlife restoration efforts in
the Klamath Basin.  We'd love to get as much support from Oregon and
northwest groups as possible (draft letter is attached).

If you'd like to sign your organization on, please get back to me or to Kate
Freund ( <mailto:kfreund at earthjustice.org> kfreund at earthjustice.org) before
close of business on Tuesday.  Please feel free to forward to other groups
that may be interested.

Background -- several of our champions are looking at Klamath legislation
this year.  Last year Congress authorized relief money, and instructed NOAA
Fisheries to develop a coho recovery plan, but did not actually appropriate
any money to support these efforts.  Now we have much more fish-friendly
folks running the relevant committee's in DC, and good chance to get the
wheels moving on restoration in the Klamath Basin.

Unfortunately, there is a pretty tight time-line to get this done (a group
of enviro's and commercial fishermen are back in DC next week lobbying on
the Klamath, and we'd like to get the letter in ASAP).

Steve Pedery
Conservation Director, Oregon Wild (formerly Oregon Natural Resources
Council)
(503) 283-6343 ext. 212
www.oregonwild.org

Byron Leydecker