[env-trinity] Trapping Summary, Willow Creek Downstream Migrant Trap mainstem Trinity River

Bill_Pinnix at fws.gov Bill_Pinnix at fws.gov
Fri Mar 16 10:33:02 PDT 2007

To whom it may concern:

                  Willow Creek Downstream Migrant Trap Site
                2007 In-Season Trapping Update –March 16, 2007

   Synopsis: The 2007 Downstream Migrant trapping season at the Willow
   Creek Trap Site (river kilometer 34) is being conducted jointly by the
   USFWS Arcata Fish and Wildlife Office (AFWO) and the Yurok Tribal
   Fisheries Program (YTFP) on the mainstem Trinity River near Willow
   Creek, California.  The site utilizes multiple eight foot diameter
   rotary screw traps.  The season began March 5, 2007 with the
   installation of one trap.  A second trap was installed March 15, 2007
   and a third trap will be installed the week of March 19th, river flow
   permitting.

   This summary includes data from March 6th, 2007 through March 13th,
   2007.

   Raw daily catches of Chinook salmon (Oncorhynchus tshawytscha) are
   steadily increasing (Table 1), and have been captured each day sampling
   occurred.  All fish captured during this time period are less than 45
   mm, and appear to be in good condition. Weekly mean Fulton’s K values
   are near 1.0.

   Raw daily catches of steelhead (Oncorhynchus mykiss) smolts are low
   (Table 1), but present in the catch.  No steelhead young-of-the-year
   have been captured this sampling year.  All steelhead smolts captured
   appear to be in good condition, except for one which had a fungal
   infection.  One of the steelhead smolts captured was marked with a
   purple photonic mark from the Hoopa Valley Tribal Fisheries Department
   trapping operation at the Pear Tree site.  Weekly mean Fulton’s K values
   are slightly higher than 1.0.

   Raw daily catches of coho salmon (Oncorhynchus kisutch) are low (Table
   1), but present in the catch.  Only one coho salmon smolt has been
   captured to date, and it was in good condition with a Fulton’s K value
   of 1.2.  All coho salmon young-of-the-year appear to be in good
   condition with weekly mean Fulton’s K values near 1.0.

   Table 1.  Raw catch of juvenile salmonids at the Willow Creek downstream
   migrant trapping site as of March 13, 2007.  NC = no clip (no hatchery
   mark).
  |-------------+--------+--------+------------+-----------+--------+------------|
  | Dates       | Julian | Trap   | Chinook    | Steelhead | Coho   | Coho       |
  |             | Week   | Days   | Age 0 NC   | Smolts NC | Age 0  | Smolts NC  |
  |-------------+--------+--------+------------+-----------+--------+------------|
  | 3/5 to 3/11 |   10   |    4   |     27     |     3     |    0   |      0     |
  | 3/12 to 3/18|   11   |    2   |     32     |     5     |    9   |      1     |

Bill

(See attached file: WCT_2007_update_3_15_07_narrative.doc)

William Pinnix
USFWS, AFWO
1655 Heindon Rd
Arcata, CA 95521