[env-trinity] Eureka Times Standard May 31

Byron Leydecker bwl3 at comcast.net
Thu May 31 10:26:34 PDT 2007

SALMON FISHING FUNDS:

Thompson fights for speedy release of emergency salmon funds

Eureka Times Standard - 5/31/07

North Coast Congressman Mike Thompson, following the president's signature
on emergency disaster relief for the Pacific salmon industry, has assembled
members of Congress from California and Oregon to call for the prompt
distribution of the funding.

"The president's approval of this disaster relief is long overdue," said
Thompson. "The administration's failed water policies resulted in our
country's largest commercial salmon fishery disaster, and North Coast
residents have suffered because of it. Our salmon fishermen and businesses
will finally get the aid they desperately need."

The $60.4 million in emergency funding will be distributed by the National
Oceanic and Atmospheric Agency, which has regulatory jurisdiction over the
nation's fishing industries. Thompson and members of the state congressional
delegations formally invited William Hogarth, director of NOAA Fisheries, to
a meeting in Washington, D.C. to discuss how and when those affected by the
disaster will receive aid.

"We've been working for the past two years to get this funding, and now that
we have it, we can't waste another minute getting it to our salmon fishermen
and related-businesses," said Thompson.

In other business, Thompson, chairman of the House Subcommittee on
Terrorism, Human Intelligence, Analysis and Counterintelligence, has
embarked on a five-day intelligence oversight trip to the United Kingdom and
Sweden.

The purpose, according to his office, is to examine the growth of religious
extremism in Europe and the threat that this trend poses to the U.S. and our
allies. In addition, Thompson will meet with local officials to discuss how
the U.S. and European countries can better coordinate counterterrorism
measures and the sharing of intelligence.

"Strong intelligence is our best weapon for fighting terrorism," said
Thompson. "And close collaboration with our allies and partners is critical
given that many of these extremist groups operate in multiple countries. We
need to share information with our allies and learn from each others'
experiences if we are to counter the threats posed by these dangerous
groups."

Thompson, a Vietnam combat veteran, will also spend a day with wounded
soldiers at the Army's Landstuhl Regional Medical Center in Germany. This is
his second visit to the hospital since fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan
began.

Byron Leydecker

Friends of Trinity River, Chair

California Trout, Inc., Advisor