[env-trinity] Hearing request on crisis in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta

Byron bwl3 at comcast.net
Fri Jun 8 16:03:54 PDT 2007

Letter attached.

June 8, 2007

The Hon. Grace F. Napolitano, Chairwoman
Subcommittee on Water and Power
1522 Longworth House Office Building
Fax: (202) 226-6953

Dear Chairwoman Napolitano:

We are writing to request that the Water & Power subcommittee hold an
oversight hearing on the ongoing crisis in the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta.

As you know, both the state and federal water projects - which supply water
to homes, farms, and commercial and industrial entities throughout the state
- have recently been temporarily shut down in response to the Delta
fisheries' collapse and court rulings that the agencies have violated state
and federal law.

Because the dramatic decline of the Bay-Delta estuary has serious
ramifications for California's water management, which in turn has such
important implications for our state's economy and our environment, we are
requesting an oversight hearing to look into two specific issues:

1.	The current scientific understanding of the health of the estuary
and its native fisheries, including the threatened Delta smelt; and

(2)     How the federal and state agencies are responding to the problem to
promote the estuary's recovery, to ensure that future actions do not
exacerbate the Delta's problems, and to help water users throughout the
state conserve and recycle water to mitigate against the effects of the pump
shutdown.

Thank you for your attention to this serious matter, and for your continued
efforts on behalf of our state's water future.

Sincerely,

GEORGE MILLER           ELLEN O. TAUSCHER       MIKE HONDA
Member of Congress              Member of Congress              Member of
Congress

MIKE THOMPSON           LYNN C. WOOLSEY TOM LANTOS