[env-trinity] Hoopa Tribe Supports Trinity River Legislation

TBedros765 at aol.com TBedros765 at aol.com
Tue Jun 19 15:54:57 PDT 2007

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

HOOPA VALLEY TRIBE LAUDS LEGISLATION FOR PROTECTION OF TRINITY RIVER
RESTORATION

Media Contacts:     Clifford Lyle Marshall          (530) 625-4211 ext. 161
               Mike Orcutt               (530) 625-4267 ext. 13
               Tod Bedrosian           (916) 421-5121

Hoopa, Calif. – The Hoopa Valley Tribe lauded north coast Congressman Mike
Thompson for his introduction Thursday of a bill to adequately fund the
restoration of the Trinity River, which bisects the tribe’s reservation, and has been
the focal point of decades of fishery restoration studies, litigation and
bureaucratic short-changing. Thompson decided to introduce the bill (H.R. 2733)
after a Hoopa delegation visited him to express concern that Trinity River
restoration funding was being diminished by a plan to restore the San Joaquin River
in the Central Valley.

“The Hoopa Valley Tribe is supportive of river restoration throughout
California, but legislation to restore the San Joaquin River has a funding plan that
will significantly reduce environmental restoration funding from the Central
Valley Project restoration fund,” said Clifford Lyle Marshall, Chairman of the
Hoopa Valley Tribe. “The Hoopa Valley Tribe sent a delegation to Washington,
D.C. to alert Congressman Thompson of the potential harm to the fishery based
communities dependent on the Trinity River, and he reacted to our concerns.”

Marshall anticipates working with San Joaquin River restoration advocates to
support tandem legislation to benefit both rivers. “We will gladly be part of
a coalition to restore both rivers, but after three decades of legislation,
litigation and cooperative studies that have produced the solid science for
restoring the river, we cannot agree to new legislation that will undermine the
federal government’s promise to restore the Trinity River.” Marshall said the
Trinity River, which is the largest tributary to the Klamath River, is the “
workhorse” that produces more than 50 percent of the fall Chinook salmon in the
Klamath River basin. The loss of habitat and dramatically declining fish
populations in the rivers caused the federal government to declare a commercial
fishing moratorium this year along 700 miles of the California and Oregon coasts.
President Bush recently signed Congressman Thompson’s legislation to provide
financial relief to north coast fishermen.

In past decades the Hoopa Valley Tribe has been a leading supporter of
restoration of the Trinity River. “Our tribe has been linked to the river for 10,000
years, but this river is important to many others. “With Mike Thompson’s
leadership and the support of long-time Trinity River advocate, Congressman
George Miller, the north coast community has never had a better opportunity to
bring the Trinity River back,” said Marshall.

Thompson’s bill would be a building block towards a permanent financial
foundation for Trinity River restoration, according to Mike Orcutt, Director of the
Hoopa Valley Tribal Fisheries Department. “The Trinity River has not been
adequately funded in past years. Even though the restoration program is supported
by decades of science and has survived years of litigation, we still have had
difficulty attaining enough federal funding to accomplish the restoration. I
hope this legislation opens a new chapter for the river’s restoration,” he
said.

                         - 30 -

 See what's free at http://www.aol.com.