[env-trinity] Governor's Press Release

Byron Leydecker bwl3 at comcast.net
Fri Aug 31 21:57:45 PDT 2007

Governor's response to Judge Wanger's ruling today

http://gov.ca.gov/index.php?/press-release/7320/

PRESS RELEASE
8/31/2007   GAAS:695:07   FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Gov. Schwarzenegger Issues Statement on Federal Court Ruling to Restrict
Water Supply throughout California

Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger today issued the following statement after
Federal Court Judge Oliver Wanger ruled to significantly restrict water
deliveries from the Sacramento - San Joaquin Delta to the Bay Area, Central
Valley and Southern California:

"Today's federal court ruling to drastically cut Delta water exports is
further proof that our water system is broken, unreliable and in crisis.
Judge Oliver Wanger's decision is a devastating blow to our water supply
system and state economy. We must act now to ensure the safety and
reliability of California's water system while we work to protect the
environment.

"This decision is also going to have a devastating impact on the state's
economy and the 25 million Californians who depend on Delta water.

"Earlier this year, I proposed a comprehensive water plan to ensure that
California has enough clean, safe water for our people, businesses, farms
and for the environment. I've also established the Delta Vision Task Force
to provide recommendations and help us find solutions to fix the Delta. We
need to invest in a better conveyance system so we have reliable water
supplies and are able to protect the Delta's fragile ecosystem. Following
today's ruling, there can be no doubt, we need more water storage and
greater conservation efforts to meet the needs of our growing population,
respond to the challenge climate change presents and meet the requirements
of what the court has imposed."

Building on his Strategic Growth Plan from last year, the Governor
introduced a $5.9 billion comprehensive water plan in January. The
Governor's plan invests $4.5 billion to develop additional surface and
groundwater storage, so we can protect communities against flooding and
capture water from storms and snowmelt run-off to supply cities, farmers and
business with water during drought conditions. The plan also includes $1
billion toward restoration of the Delta, including development of a new
conveyance system, $250 million to support restoration projects on the
Klamath, San Joaquin and Sacramento rivers and the Salton Sea project and
$200 million for grants to California communities to help conserve water for
about 400,000 families.

The Governor has directed the Delta Vision Blue Ribbon Task Force to develop
a Delta management plan. The task force will present its findings and
recommendations by January 1, 2008 and its Strategic Plan by October 31,
2008. The Bay Delta Conservation Plan is also underway, being developed with
broad participation from water agencies, environmental organizations and
local representatives. The $1 billion proposed in the Governor's
comprehensive plan will be used to fund their recommendations.

Byron Leydecker

Friends of Trinity River, Chair

California Trout, Inc., Advisor

415 383 4810