[env-trinity] Hoopa Tribe vs. NRDC

TBedros765 at aol.com TBedros765 at aol.com
Fri Aug 31 09:36:37 PDT 2007

Media Contacts:     Danny Jordan               (530) 625-4211
               Mike Orcutt               (530) 625-4267 ext. 13
               Tod Bedrosian           (916) 421-5121

HOOPA VALLEY TRIBE QUESTIONS NATURAL RESOURCES DEFENSE COUNCIL’S STAND ON SAN
JOAQUIN RIVER SETTLEMENT

Hoopa, Calif. – The Natural Resource Defense Council’s (NRDC) support for
the Congressional settlement (H.R. 24) of the San Joaquin River lawsuit is at
odds with its commitment to environmental justice and will short change the
restoration efforts of the Trinity River in Humboldt County, according to Danny
Jordan, one of the water negotiators for the Hoopa Valley Tribe. “We are the
only ones we know with a substantial stake in Central Valley Project
environmental restoration programs who were denied a seat at the table during months of
negotiations that concluded with a settlement bill being introduced,” said
Jordan.

The mission statement of the NRDC calls for minorities to be relieved of the “
disproportionate burden” environmental abuses inflicted on their communities “
So it is very sad that we were neither seen nor heard until others had made a
decision at the expense of our environment,” said Jordan, whose reservation
is bisected by the Trinity River and whose fishery is protected as a federal
trust asset.

Jordan said the Department of the Interior has recognized the San Joaquin
settlement will cause an annual reduction of up to a 25 percent in funds
available from the Central Valley Project Improvement Act (CVPIA) restoration fund. “
Implementation of the San Joaquin River settlement should not come at the
expense of ongoing CVPIA environmental restoration activities or the federal trust
responsibility to our tribe expressly recognized in the CVPIA,” said Jordan.

The tribe has provided Congress and the settlement parties with proposed
amendments that would protect the interests of Trinity River restoration without
affecting the core principles of the settlement. “We think this can be resolved
with a good faith effort on all sides” said Jordan. “Unfortunately,’ he
added, “time is running short so we have to act soon.”

-30-

 Get a sneak peek of the all-new AOL at