[env-trinity] Workshop- FORESTRY & ANADROMY – ARE WE THE SOLUTION TO RECOVERY?

Tom Stokely tstokely at trinityalps.net
Fri Sep 21 14:15:22 PDT 2007

CLFA WORKSHOP

FORESTRY & ANADROMY – ARE WE THE SOLUTION TO RECOVERY?

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 26, 2007 – HOLIDAY INN, REDDING
REGISTRATION FEE*

CLFA Member:  $170.00 ($185.00/Late – after 10/10)

**Non-Member:  $195.00 ($210.00/Late – after 10/10)

REGISTRATION DEADLINE: October 10, 2007

(Class may fill before deadline – Late registration accepted ONLY if space available)

Fee Includes:  Lunch/Breaks & Workshop Binder

*Cancellations:  Refund of registration fee, upon request, if cancellation is received by 10/10/07

**$25.00 of non-member workshop fee may be applied toward CLFA Membership

INTRODUCTION

“We are currently in a holding pattern since the salmon problem has been largely domesticated politically.  As a society, we appear to be waiting for something to change, be it science, technology, economy, or even public attitudes, something that will shake us into a place where the problem becomes so apparent that the way forward is both clear and acceptable.”  Robert T. Lackey (US EPA) et.al., 2006
As forestland stewards, we are managing a variety of stand conditions to maintain complexity across the landscape.  With regard to Salmonids, isn’t it time we break out of the holding pattern?  In our role as resource managers, shouldn’t we be managing for differing stream and riparian conditions in order to provide ample complexity to maintain viable stocks of anadromy and to recover listed Salmonids?  Given the complex life history of anadromous fish, an action at one stage in the life cycle can affect the outcome at other stages.  If we perform our role in the recovery, maintenance, and provision of quality freshwater habitat, is that enough to maintain and recover California’s anadromy?  This workshop is intended to shed some insight to these questions and get us thinking in a new direction.  Ask not what is needed to protect and maintain, but what is necessary to recover our listed anadromy!

LODGING INFORMATION
You are responsible for making your own lodging arrangements.  CLFA has arranged for a block of rooms at the Redding Holiday Inn.  Please make your reservations by October 12 and refer to Reservation Code “CA Licensed Foresters Assoc Fall” to receive the following special rates:  Single or Double:  $84.00 plus tax.  Guaranteed rates apply Thursday and Friday nights, October 25 & 26.

Holiday Inn, 1900 Hilltop Dr., Redding, CA 96002
Phone: 530.221.7500

For Directions to the Holiday Inn: www.meyercrest.com/holidayinnredding.html

Room Reservations must be guaranteed with credit card or deposit by check

Other Redding Lodging:  www.visitredding.org

CLFA FORESTRY & ANADROMY WORKSHOP
Friday, October 26, 2007 – Holiday Inn, Redding

AGENDA
7:00 – 8:00 AM           REGISTRATION – Holiday Inn Conference Center

8:00 – 8:10                  Welcome and Introduction to Workshop

                                                Charll Stoneman, Program Chair

8:10 – 8:50                  Anadromous Fish Life Cycles & Species Habitat Requirements – California Anadromy 101

            Dr. Walt Duffy, Unit Leader, CA. Cooperative Fish Research Unit, HSU

8:50 – 9:40                  Environmental Conditions & Land Management Activities Affecting Anadromy – The Big Picture

                                                Dr. Gordon Reeves, Research Fisheries Biologist, USFS

9:40 – 10:30                What are the Known & Potential Threshold Conditions Limiting Anadromy Recovery in the Freshwater Habitat – Is There a Problem?

Dr. Ken Cummins, The Institute for Forest & Watershed

Management, HSU

10:45 – 11:30              Should Deep, Dark, and Dense Be the Target for All Species?

                                                Dr. Peggy Wilzbach, CA. Cooperative Fish Research Unit, HSU

11:30 – Noon              Establishing Baseline Information – Was Native Coho Present South of San Francisco

                                                Dr. V. W. Kaczynski, Consulting Fisheries Scientist

Noon – 1:00 PM         Lunch (Provided)

1:00 – 2:00                  The West Coast in 2100: An Alternative Futures Perspective on Salmon Recovery

                                                Dr. Robert T. Lackey, EPA National Health & Environmental

Effects Research Laboratory (Corvallis) and OSU

2:00 – 3:20                  What’s Being Done to Improve Freshwater Habitat and/or Facilitate Recovery – Current Examples from Timberland Managers

                                                LWD Recruitment – Graffiti in the Creek

                                                            Kathleen Morgan, Gualala River Watershed Council

                                                Proactive Fisheries Management Under an HCP

                                                            Dr. Lowell Diller, Green Diamond Resource Company

3:35 – 3:50                  Board of Forestry Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) Status Report

                                                            Gary Nakamura, Chair, BOF T&I Watershed Literature Review TAC

3:50 – 4:50                  Update on the ‘Coho Salmon Incidental Take Assistance’ Regulations & ITP Process

BOF’s Current & Future Strategy for Protection & Recovery of Coho & Other Salmonids
                                                            George “YG” Gentry, Executive Officer, BOF

DFG’s Methodology to Interface the ITP Process With the Forest Practice Regulations

            Mark Stopher, CA. Department of Fish & Game

4:50 – 5:00 PM           Final Q& A - Adjourn

SAF Continuing Education Credits: 7.0 Hours, Category I

REGISTRATION FORM
CLFA FORESTRY & ANADROMY WORKSHOP

Registration Deadline: October 10, 2007

NAME(S):                               _____________________________________________________________________

MAILING ADDRESS:           _____________________________________________________________________

PHONE #: ________________________                 EMAIL: _________________________________________

FORESTRY & ANADROMY WORKSHOP – October 26, 2007

            (Register Early – Class may fill prior to deadline)

                                    _____ CLFA Member @ $170.00 ($185.00/late – after 10/10)                    $__________

                                    _____ Non-Member @ $195.00 ($210.00/late – after 10/10)                       $__________

                                                                                                            TOTAL                       $__________

___ I need a written, numbered receipt for my payment

*Cancellations:  Refund of registration fee, upon request, if cancellation is received by 10/10/07

**Confirmation of Registration:  You will receive confirmation of your registration via email or postcard

PAYMENT OPTIONS

CLFA Federal Tax ID #:  94-2707404

·         Check:  Make check payable to: CLFA.  Mail along with registration form to: CLFA, P.O. Box 1516, Pioneer, CA 95666

·         Credit Card – On-Line:  Go to: www.clfa.org, “Pay Online”, then follow prompts.  This is a secure line.  To register more than one individual under the same credit card, you will have to make individual transactions (please allow ½ hour between transactions to avoid a Fraud Alert from credit card processing).  Debit cards cannot be accepted.

·         Credit Card – Via Mail or Fax:  If you don’t have email or access to the internet, fill out the credit card information below and mail or fax the information to CLFA (Fax Number: 209.293.7544).  You will receive confirmation from CLFA that your credit card payment has been approved.

Charge Credit Card (check one):      ___ Visa     ___MasterCard

Security Code on back of card (3-digit #): _______________________                 Amount: $____________

Signature of Card Holder: ____________