[env-trinity] FW: EPA Issues Toxic Algae Warning for Warren

Sime, Fraser simef at water.ca.gov
Tue Mar 11 14:05:20 PDT 2008

What a great question - it shows you're thinking, and that's a really
good thing!!

Without giving you the answer (or at least my version of it) I encourage
you to go online and research the type of algae (species name) that's
causing the water quality problems.  Then, you should investigate
whether or not it is a species of phytoplankton (algae) that is "free
floating" meaning it doesn't attach to stuff or a species that belongs
to a group of algae that attach themselves to the bottom substrate
(rocks, logs, plants, etc.) known as periphyton.  You might find the
answer to your own question!!

Something to think about........Have fun with this...........

Cheers,

Fraser R. Sime

Chief, Water Quality and Biology Section

Regional Coordinator, DWR Watershed Program

2440 Main St., Red Bluff, CA   96080

(530) 529-7374  (Office)

(530) 941-5623  (Cell)

"If we each selfishly pursue only what we believe to be in our own
interest, we not only may end up harming others, but also ourselves."

~The Dalai Lama

  _____