[env-trinity] Don Koch to Head Fish and Game Dept.

Tom Stokely tstokely at trinityalps.net
Thu Apr 17 13:40:17 PDT 2008

http://www.sacbee.com/102/story/870211.html
Veteran of department will lead Fish and Game
By Matt Weiser - mweiser at sacbee.com
Last Updated 10:42 am PDT Thursday, April 17, 2008

Print | E-Mail | Comments (3)|

Gov. Arnold Schwarzenegger on Wednesday appointed Donald Koch of Redding to be California's new director of the Department of Fish and Game.

Koch, 55, retired in December after a 30-year career with the department as a biologist and supervisor. Since 1998, he served as North Coast regional manager, where he represented the department in complex Klamath River water negotiations.

As a biologist, he worked on black bear and elk programs, as well as wildlife surveys and habitat management.

"I look forward to using my background to protect California's vast fish and wildlife population," Koch said in a statement.

He replaces L. Ryan Broddrick, who resigned in August and now is executive director of the Northern California Water Association.

Koch, a Democrat, has a master's degree in biological sciences from Cal State Sacramento and a bachelor's degree in zoology from UC Davis. The position requires Senate confirmation, and the pay is $142,965.