[env-trinity] West's record, computer modeling indicate prolonged droughts likely again

Mark Dowdle - TCRCD mdowdle at tcrcd.net
Tue Apr 29 11:15:02 PDT 2008

Opinion:

Learning from our arid past

More droughts, less water -- our future depends on adapting to scarcity.

Los Angeles Times - 4/29/08

By Brian Fagan - emeritus professor of anthropology at UC Santa Barbara and
the author of "The Great Warming: Climate Change and the Rise and Fall of
Civilizations

One of the downsides to global warming is drought. About 11 million people
in northeast Africa alone were in serious danger of starvation in 2006 as a
result of drought. The International Institute of Tropical Agriculture in
Nigeria estimates that about 300 million people in sub-Saharan Africa --
nearly a third of the population -- will suffer from malnutrition because of
intensifying drought by 2010. With continued warming and more droughts on
the horizon, we need to learn how to better live with our natural world and
its cycles.

Here in the Western United States, it's tree rings that tell us that cycles
of wet and dry, warm and cool are the historical reality.

In California, the source is tree stumps in Sierra lake beds. Owens Lake
once covered more than 115 square miles at the mouth of the Owens River. The
mountain runoff that fed the lake varied dramatically in cycles of wet and
dry years. In drier periods, trees grew in the still-moist soil of the
receding lake. When the rains came, the trees drowned, leaving stumps as a
chronicle of aridity: An epochal drought began before AD 910 and ended about
1100; a wetter century then ensued, when rainfall was higher than in modern
times. A second drought started before 1210 and ended 140 years later.

As for the wider West, a grid of more than 600 tree-ring sequences from
throughout the region, compiled by a team at the Lamont-Doherty Tree Ring
Laboratory at Columbia University, puts today's droughts in perspective. The
centuries between AD 900 and 1253 witnessed long dry spells. After 1300, an
abrupt change to wetter conditions lasted for 600 years, then gave way to
today's aridity. Some people refer to a "mega-drought epoch" 1,000 years
ago, when cool, dry La Niña conditions persisted for decades over the
eastern Pacific and the winter jet stream stayed well north of what is now
California.

None of today's droughts approach the intensity and duration of the medieval
ones. The six-year California drought that began in 1987 resulted in Sierra
Nevada runoff that was only 65% of normal. During the great medieval
droughts, inflow to Owens Lake is estimated to have been 45% to 50% lower
than usual.

Why did the medieval droughts persist so long? Gradually accumulating
climatic evidence from around the world is showing that the mega-drought
epoch experienced significant warming on a global level, similar to recent
conditions. During the 20th century, increased Northern Hemisphere
temperatures and unusual warming of the western Pacific and Indian oceans
contributed to drought formation over middle latitudes.

How did people survive? A thousand years ago, California's human population
was tiny, a scattering of hunters, gatherers and fishermen who adapted
effortlessly to long-term drought. They tapped rare permanent water
supplies, changed their diet and moved to higher ground. Acorns were a
staple; so were sea fish in places such as the Santa Barbara Channel.
Survival in some of the toughest landscapes on Earth depended on
cooperation, intelligence about water supplies, mobility and flexibility,
knowledge of their environment and on taking advantage of all kinds of food
resources when they became available. Nevertheless, prolonged aridity must
have killed thousands of people in medieval times, from the American West to
the Saharan Sahel.

Although today's droughts are minuscule compared with the dry spells of
1,000 years ago, the future is truly frightening. Sophisticated computer
models by Britain's Hadley Center for Climate Prediction and Research
predict a 3% to 18% increase in the amount of the Earth's surface that will
be exposed to extreme drought by 2100; 40% of the world will suffer from
severe drought, up from the current 18%; 50% will suffer from moderate
drought. California and other Western states, at the very least, will suffer
from severe drought. By 2025, an estimated 2.8 billion of us will live in
arid areas like California.

Today, we harvest water on an industrial scale -- from rainfall, from rivers
and lakes and from rapidly shrinking water tables. Many of us in California
live off what are, effectively, looted water supplies, brought by canal from
Owens Lake or the Colorado River or drained from aquifers.

But at best we have accommodated ourselves to nature's fickle realities. Our
greatest asset is not necessarily our technology but our opportunism and
endless capacity to adapt to circumstances. We must learn from the history
of the great droughts and begin to think of ourselves as partners with,
rather than potential masters of, the changing natural world.

Brian Fagan is emeritus professor of anthropology at UC Santa Barbara and

http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/commentary/la-oe-fagan29apr29,0,4871853.story