[env-trinity] Karuk Tribe and Fishing Groups Call on Schwarzenegger to Limit Gold Mining To Save Struggling Fisheries

Dan Bacher danielbacher at fishsniffer.com
Thu Jun 19 17:15:43 PDT 2008

Karuk Tribe · California Trout

P R E S S R E L E A S E

For Immediate Release: June 18, 2008

For more information:

Craig Tucker, Spokesperson Karuk Tribe cell 916-207-8294
Severn Williams, California Trout 510-336-7566

Karuk Tribe and Fishing Groups Call on Schwarzenegger to Limit Gold
Mining To Save Struggling Fisheries

In Wake of Fisheries Closures, Tribe, Fishermen, and Conservationists
Urge Governor to protect critical habitats from Suction Dredge Mining

Sacramento, CA – A Native Tribe along with commercial and
recreational fishermen called on Governor Schwarzenegger today to
restrict the controversial gold mining technique known as suction
dredge mining. The groups’ call to limit the recreational mining
technique comes as California faces the worst fisheries collapse in
history.

“In April, the state and federal government took unprecedented
emergency actions to completely close California’s coast to
recreational and commercial salmon fishing, something that is causing
severe economic harm to businesses and communities,” said Brian
Stranko, CEO of California Trout. “This is why it is inappropriate
and unacceptable for state government to allow recreational suction
dredge mining operations to continue to harm fish, particularly
endangered species like coho salmon.”

Suction dredges are powered by gas or diesel engines that are mounted
on floating pontoons in the river. Attached to the engine is a
powerful vacuum hose which the dredger uses to suction up the gravel
and sand (sediment) from the bottom of the river. The stream bed
passes through a sluice box where heavier gold particles can settle
into a series of riffles. The rest of the gravel and potentially
toxic sediment is simply dumped back into the river. Depending on
size, location and density of these machines they can turn a clear
running mountain stream or river segment into a murky watercourse
unfit for swimming.

“Dredging disturbs spawning gravels and kills salmon eggs and
immature lamprey that reside in the gravel for up to seven years
before maturing. In a system like the Klamath where salmon can be
stressed due to poor water quality, having a dredge running in the
middle of the stream affects the fishes ability to reach their
spawning grounds,” according to Toz Soto, lead fisheries biologist
for the Karuk Tribe.

Soto adds, “there is a lot of mercury settled on the bottom of these
rivers from gold smelting operations from the 1800’s. Dredging
reintroduces mercury to the stream creating a toxic hazard for fish
and people.”

Exposure to mercury can lead to mental retardation and birth defects.

The groups are hoping that the Governor will agree to a provision
added by the Legislature to the 2008 Budget Bill that would establish
a temporary moratorium on suction dredge mining in areas that
represent the most important habitat for salmon and trout while the
Department of Fish and Game revises (DFG) its regulations in
compliance with a 2006 court order.

“The 2.2 million Californians that buy fishing licenses every year
expect the Governor to protect both our natural resources as well as
our rural economies,” said Stranko.

According to the American Sportfishing Association, licensed anglers
in California contribute $4.9 billion annually to the state’s economy
This includes 43,000 jobs amounting to $1.3 billion in wages and
salaries annually. Commercial salmon fishing contributes $255 million
and 2,263 jobs to the California economy.

By comparison, DFG only issues 3,000 permits for suction dredging
each year.

For the Karuk Tribe the threat is even greater. “Suction dredge
mining is nothing more than recreational genocide. The first gold
rush killed more than half our people in 10 years.This modern gold
rush continues to kill our fish and our culture,” says Leaf Hillman
of the Karuk Tribe.

“While we cannot harvest enough salmon for our ceremonies or to meet
our families’ food needs, miners are allowed to rip and tear our
river bottoms to shreds. We need the Governor to take a stand with
Native People and the 2.2 million anglers in California - not 3,000
recreational gold miners,” added Hillman.

In coming weeks the Governor will have to consider the groups’
proposal to limit mining as part of the 2008 Budget Bill to provide
interim safeguards while DFG conducts a two-year effort to overhaul
statewide regulations covering instream mining.

# # #

Editor’s note: for a picture of a suction dredge in action, email
request to ctucker at karuk.us

S. Craig Tucker, Ph.D.
Klamath Campaign Coordinator
Karuk Tribe of California
NEW NUMBER home office: 707-839-1982
Tribal office in Orleans: 530-627-3446 x3027
cell: 916-207-8294
ctucker at karuk.us

www.karuk.us