[env-trinity] Action Alert for the Tuolumne River

Byron Leydecker bwl3 at comcast.net
Tue Oct 14 19:33:05 PDT 2008

I support this effort - it's genuinely within the realm of reality.  I
signed on to the letter as an individual.   You also can help salmon and
steelhead by signing the letter and, if possible, by showing up for the
October 30 hearing.

Byron

Stop the Water Grab - A Call to Action

Friends,

This is it - the final few weeks of a multi-year campaign to stop the SFPUC
water grab - one that could seriously harm the health of the Tuolumne River.
A final decision is likely on October 30th.  The time to act is now.  Please
send an email to the SFPUC and encourage them to prioritize water
conservation and recycling over taking any more water out of the River!  And
then please forward this email to your friends and ask them to do the same.
http://www.tuolumne.org/content/staticpages/index.php/letter_commissioners

 Send a letter to the SFPUC:
http://www.tuolumne.org/content/staticpages/index.php/letter_commissioners

We've come a long way.  A few short months ago, the SFPUC (San Francisco
Public Utilities Commission) was considering a controversial plan to take an
additional 25 million gallons of water per day out of the Tuolumne River.
Most of this increase would have been for outdoor use.  Imagine it:
pristine Hetch-Hetchy water - some of the best drinking water in the world -
being sprinkled on lawns.  While that option is still on the table, SFPUC
staff are now recommending a compromise - a variant that would leave most of
that water in the River and turn to water conservation and recycling
instead, at least until the year 2018.

Make no mistake - this has the potential to be a huge victory.  But we still
have major concerns -  assurances that the SFPUC and it's customers won't go
over their cap are weak, and the plan would still allow for an additional 2
million gallons a day to be diverted.

59% of flows are already diverted in an average year (up to 90% in some
years) - meanwhile, we've seen our native salmon and steelhead populations
crash.  So right now, please email the Commissioners of the SFPUC and urge
them to choose a plan that keeps every drop of remaining water in the River:
http://www.tuolumne.org/content/staticpages/index.php/letter_commissioners.
Then forward this alert to your friends.

For the river,

Jessie Raeder

Bay Area Organizer

Tuolumne River Trust

111 New Montgomery, #205
San Francisco, CA 94105
(415) 882-7252 ext. 301

 <mailto:jessie at tuolumne.org> jessie at tuolumne.org

 <http://www.tuolumne.org/> www.tuolumne.org

 <http://www.tuolumne.org/bayarea> www.tuolumne.org/bayarea

MARK YOUR CALENDAR:  On October 30, their will be two important hearings and
the SFPUC will likely decide whether to go with a plan that diverts more
water from the river or one that doesn't.  October 30 will be the moment of
truth; the culmination of several years of campaigning for a project that
will not increase diversions from the Tuolumne.  We are asking Tuolumne
supporters to come out in droves - if folks were to do one major action to
protect the source of the  Bay Area's drinking water this year - this is it.
Take the day off and clear the schedule if you can!  We will be in touch
again as soon as the times and locations of those hearings are finalized.

 Byron Leydecker, JCT, Chair

Friends of Trinity River

415 383 4810

415 519 4810 cell