[env-trinity] Klamath Dams

Byron Leydecker bwl3 at comcast.net
Thu Nov 13 14:10:35 PST 2008

Klamath Riverkeeper Press Release

November 13, 2008 For Immediate Release

Malena Marvin, Outreach and Science Director - 541-821-7260

Scott Harding, Executive Director - 541-840-1662

Klamath Dams Aren't Out Yet!

Dam Removal Advocates Optimistic, but Holding Out for Final Agreement

Klamath Riverkeeper is cautiously optimistic about a tentative, non-binding
Agreement in Principle to remove four of PacifiCorp's Klamath dams by 2020.
While the Agreement in Principle does provide a path toward dam removal, a
Final Agreement has not yet been signed and several important issues have
not been resolved. Klamath Riverkeeper has served as a watchdog over
PacifiCorp's water quality and environmental justice issues over the last
several years, and will continue pressuring PacifiCorp to comply with clean
water laws until the dams are removed.

"After all the work we've put in advocating for removal of these dams, it
feels good to hear the words 'dam removal' come out of PacifiCorp
headquarters, and we applaud the bold stance stakeholders and policy makers
have taken. However, we won't throw our party until we see the Final
Agreement, and we're satisfied the terms of that agreement will keep fish
alive until 2020 on the Klamath River," said Malena Marvin of Klamath
Riverkeeper.

"Tribal members, fishermen, conservationists, and local people have logged a
lot of miles fighting for this river.  We're not about to stop until we see
the water flowing free again," added Marvin.

In addition to blocking salmon from half the Klamath River for the last 90
years, PacifiCorp's Klamath dams produce devastating water quality
conditions for fish, as well as the worst toxic algae problem in America.
The dams are currently being evaluated by California for a Clean Water Act
Section 401 pollution discharge permit, a process that could block a new
operating license from FERC given the dams' exceedingly poor water quality.
"We expect California's regulatory process to continue until we have a Final
Agreement, and Klamath Riverkeeper will be there every step of the way
making sure clean water law is enforced," said Scott Harding of Klamath
Riverkeeper.

Klamath Riverkeeper was not party to the settlement negotiations, and has
instead focused heavily on holding PacifiCorp accountable for clean water
violations on the Klamath River, including a lawsuit forcing the 2007
listing of the Klamath as impaired by the algal toxin microcystin by the
United States EPA.  This listing has presented a serious challenge to
PacifiCorp's ability to obtain licenses needed to continue operating the
dams. Klamath Riverkeeper has also brought suits against PacifiCorp
directly, as well as California's State and Regional Water Boards.  Along
with a coalition of Tribes and fishermen, Klamath Riverkeeper has organized
strategic grassroots actions at PacifiCorp's offices in Portland as well as
subsidiary-owner Warren Buffett's Berkshire Shareholders' meeting in Omaha,
Nebraska.

"We're particularly interested in the interim mitigation measures that will
be in place until 2020.  From our perspective, a lot rests on the Final
Agreement's ability to make PacifiCorp take action for the environmental and
public health problems their dams have created for people who live
downstream," added Marvin.

 ___________________________

Malena Marvin

Outreach & Science Director

Klamath Riverkeeper

PO Box 897, Ashland, OR 97520

cell: 541.821.7260, ph/fax: 541.488.3553

http://www.klamathriver.org <http://www.klamathriver.org/>

Byron Leydecker, JCT

Chair, Friends of Trinity River

415 383 4810