[env-trinity] A framework for dam removal

Tom Stokely tstokely at att.net
Tue Nov 25 21:42:13 PST 2008

A framework for dam removal
The Times-Standard, 11/22/2008

By Jill Geist

Since 2004, 26 diverse parties known as the Klamath Settlement Group have worked to develop the Klamath Basin Restoration Agreement (KBRA) built around the simple premise that removal of the four dams preventing fish from reaching 300 miles of habitat is key to the recovery of the Klamath River and her fisheries.

Groups supporting the KBRA understand that there are several ways to work towards Klamath Dam removal. A number of Klamath River advocates working towards dam removal are using a variety of approaches, including the regulatory processes such as FERC relicensing, and the water quality 401 certification processes. There is no one 'right pathway' to achieve dam removal, although it bears noting that FERC has never successfully ordered a dam removal nor has a state water board. To date, the only successful dam removal efforts were the product of a negotiated settlement.

What is unique about this group's approach is the scope, detail and commitment by federal, state, tribal, local government, fishermen's groups, agricultural, conservation organizations and PacifiCorp to work not only toward dam removal, but a more comprehensive restoration plan that at the same time provides economic benefits to all of the basin's rural communities. This marks a significant departure from the past where groups used litigation as the primary tool to affect change with little progress made by either side.

The settlement agreement group has focused primarily on the resources and management of the Klamath River until we had conceptual dam removal agreement from PacifiCorp. There has been a tremendous amount of cynicism, skepticism and even hope by various outside parties that we would fail. But because we are committed to seizing this unique opportunity for Klamath River restoration we have developed understandings of differing views, worked toward providing assurances where uncertainty exists and found points of agreement.

As readers will recall, the settlement group released a draft KBRA for public review in January 2008, and that a sub-committee was engaged with PacifiCorp regarding conceptual agreement for removal of four Klamath dams. Parallel discussions were also held between federal, state and PacifiCorp representatives in an effort to break through the dam removal stalemate. These discussions resulted in an Agreement in Principle for the removal of 4 Klamath River dams by 2020. The Agreements in Principle (AIP) are largely consistent with the draft KBRA principles and provisions. The AIP was presented to the group, and we now possess an agreement that recognizes and relies upon our initiative to coordinate and develop the final agreement.

At first blush, the AIP contains language that could be construed as troublesome, but it is important to recognize that it provides the framework for removal of four dams, and that the onus is placed on settlement group members to solve these problems, work around constraints, recognize 'off-ramps' and work towards finalizing a comprehensive final agreement that the majority of parties can accept.

The Klamath Settlement Group will meet soon to further evaluate the AIP for consistency with the draft KBRA, establish a work plan for development of the hydropower chapter and further revise and refine the existing draft KBRA agreement, with a final agreement target date of June 2009.

Jill Geist is Humboldt County's 5th District supervisor. #

http://www.times-standard.com/ci_11049853?IADID=Search-www.times-standard.com-www.times-standard.com