[env-trinity] Strickland Nominated for Asst Secy F&WS

Byron Leydecker bwl3 at comcast.net
Mon Feb 23 21:34:17 PST 2009

WASHINGTON, D.C. Secretary of the Interior Ken Salazar today praised
President Obama's announcement that he intends to nominate Thomas Strickland
for Interior Assistant Secretary for Fish, Wildlife and Parks.

I have known and worked with Tom Strickland for more than twenty years,
Salazar said.  From the work we did together to create the Great Outdoors
Colorado program to his service as U.S. Attorney, his record and devotion to
public service is second to none.  As my Chief of Staff, he has helped us
hit the ground running at the Department of the Interior so that we can
restore the trust of the American people in its government and fulfill
President Obama's agenda.   In addition to serving as the chief of staff for
the 67,000 employees of the Department, he would bring to the Assistant
Secretary position the type of vision for our parks, wildlife, and open
spaces that our country needs right now.

The Assistant Secretary for Fish, Wildlife and Parks oversees and
coordinates policy decisions for the National Park Service and the U.S. Fish
and Wildlife Service.  Strickland would serve concurrently in as Chief of
Staff for Interior and, if nominated and confirmed, as Assistant Secretary
for Fish, Wildlife and Parks.

Strickland served as United States Attorney for the District of Colorado
from 1999 through 2001.  As U.S. Attorney, he represented the United States
on a broad range of public land and environmental issues.

Together with Secretary Salazar, Strickland was a founder and board member
of Great Outdoors Colorado, the lottery-funded endowment for Colorado's
public parks system that was created in 1992.

>From May 2007 to when he joined Interior as Chief of Staff, Strickland was
executive vice president and chief legal officer of United Health Group.
Before that, he was a partner of the Hogan & Hartson law firm, serving as
Managing Partner for the firm' Colorado offices.  He was also a member of
Hogan & Hartsons executive committee and worked closely with United Health
Group as outside legal counsel on a variety of issues.

>From 1982 to 1984 Strickland served as director of policy for Colorado
Governor Richard D. Lamm, advising the governor on all policy and
intergovernmental issues.  He went on to serve and chair the Colorado
Transportation Commission from 1985 to 1989.  Strickland also served as
legal counsel to the Denver Metro Chamber of Commerce.

Strickland received his bachelors in English literature, with honors, from
Louisiana State University, where he was an All-SEC Academic Football
Selection.  He received his J.D., with honors, from the University of Texas
School of Law.  He is a member of the Colorado, Minnesota and Texas Bars.

Byron Leydecker, JcT

Chair, Friends of Trinity River

415 383 4810 land

415 519 4810 cell