[env-trinity] Winnemem Wintu Press Release

Byron Leydecker bwl3 at comcast.net
Fri Apr 10 17:49:51 PDT 2009

*** Media Advisory ***

Tribal War Dance and March Next Steps in

Winnemem Wintu Tribe's Journey to Justice

Ceremonies Initiate Federal Lawsuit on behalf of Tribe

Who: The Winnemem Wintu Tribe, a traditional California Tribe.

The Winnemem have been fighting for years to sustain their culture and
address generations of broken promises by the federal government.

What: War Dance, March and press conference from Sacramento River to the
State Capitol.

Winnemem war dancers and tribal leaders will perform a traditional
ceremonial War Dance next to the Sacramento River and will then march to the
State Capitol building. The March and War Dance initiate the federal lawsuit
the Tribe is filing, asking for compensation for damages done by federal
land management policies, including the construction of the Shasta Dam.

Schedule of events:

Sunday, April 19th: War Dance begins in the evening on the Sacramento River

Location: West Sacramento TBA.

Monday, April 20th: Ceremony and address by Tribal leaders

West Sacramento. Exact location and time TBA

March from Sacramento River to State Capitol

ROUTE AND TIME FOR MARCH TBA

Press Conference with Tribal leaders and community members

12:00 Noon to 1 PM State Capitol Location 27 West side of capitol building

More Information:

The Winnemem Wintu Tribe is filing a lawsuit against Department of The
Interior; Department of Agriculture; United States Forest Service; Bureau of
Reclamation; Bureau of Indian Affairs; Bureau of Land Management; Ken
Salazar, Secretary of The Interior; Assistant Secretary for Water and
Science; Assistant Secretary for Fish and Wildlife and Parks in The
Department of Agriculture; and Tom Vilsack, Secretary of Agriculture asking
for redress for decades of injustices and harm related to federal land
management policies which have destroyed Winnemem cultural practices and
sacred places.

The Winnemem began a journey to justice in 2004 with a War Dance at Shasta
Dam. Today we continue that journey with another War Dance and this lawsuit.
Our people are a traditional people, steeped in our culture and traditional
lifeways, who have continued our cultural practices throughout the written
history of the state of California. With this lawsuit and War Dance, we
continue our journey to ensure our basic quality of life and freedom to
maintain our traditions and culture.

Winnemem Wintu Tribe

14840 bear mountain road . Redding, CA . 96003

Phone: 530-275-2737 . Fax: 530-275-4193

http://www.winnememwintu.us <http://www.winnememwintu.us/>

Byron Leydecker, JcT

Chair, Friends of Trinity River