[env-trinity] FW: Updated Advisory: War Dance and March Next Steps in Winnemem Wintu Tribe's Journey to Justice

Byron Leydecker bwl3 at comcast.net
Tue Apr 14 19:43:01 PDT 2009

  _____

From: Dan Bacher [mailto:danielbacher at fishsniffer.com]
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 2009 11:11 AM
Subject: Updated Advisory: War Dance and March Next Steps in Winnemem Wintu
Tribe's Journey to Justice

 Updated to include exact times and locations.

*** Media Advisory ***

Tribal War Dance and March Next Steps in Winnemem Wintu Tribe's Journey to
Justice Ceremonies Initiate Federal Lawsuit on behalf of Tribe.

Who: The Winnemem Wintu Tribe, a traditional California Tribe. The Winnemem
have been fighting for years to sustain their culture and address
generations of broken promises by the federal government.

What: War Dance, march and press conference from Sacramento River to the
State Capitol.

Winnemem war dancers and tribal leaders will perform a traditional
ceremonial War Dance next to the Sacramento River and will then march to the
State Capitol building. The march and War Dance initiate the federal lawsuit
the Tribe is filing, asking for compensation for damages done by federal
land management policies, including the construction of the Shasta Dam.

Schedule of events:

Sunday, April 19th: War Dance begins at 6:00 PM on Sacramento River at the
site of the proposed California Indian Heritage Center, across the river
from Discovery Park on the west side of the confluence of Sacramento and
American Rivers: On Levee Road, off Marina Way from Lighthouse Dr, West
Sacramento.

Monday, April 20th: Ceremony and address by Tribal leaders. California
Indian Heritage Center site, Levee Rd, West Sacramento

10:00 AM March from Sacramento River to State Capitol, from Levee Road to
Capitol

12:00 to 1:00 PM Press Conference with Tribal leaders and community members
State Capitol Location 27 West side of capitol building

More Information

The Winnemem Wintu Tribe is filing a lawsuit against Department of The
Interior; Department of Agriculture; United States Forest Service; Bureau of
Reclamation; Bureau of Indian Affairs; Bureau of Land Management; Ken
Salazar, Secretary of The Interior; Assistant Secretary for Water and
Science; Assistant Secretary for Fish and Wildlife and Parks in The
Department of Agriculture; and Tom Vilsack, Secretary of Agriculture asking
for redress for decades of injustices and harm related to federal land
management policies which have destroyed Winnemem cultural practices and
sacred places.

The Winnemem began a journey to justice in 2004 with a War Dance at Shasta
Dam. Today we continue that journey with another War Dance and this lawsuit.
Our people are a traditional people, steeped in our culture and traditional
lifeways, who have continued our cultural practices throughout the written
history of the state of California. With this lawsuit and War Dance, we
continue our journey to ensure our basic quality of life and freedom to
maintain our traditions and culture.

Winnemem Wintu Tribe

14840 Bear Mountain Road, Redding, CA 96003

530-275-2737 Office 530-275-4193 Facsimile

www.winnememwintu.us <http://www.winnememwintu.us/>

winnemem at msn.com