[env-trinity] Eureka Times Standard July 5 2009

Byron Leydecker bwl3 at comcast.net
Mon Jul 6 13:44:16 PDT 2009

More resources being sent to Trinity Alps fire

Eureka Times-Standard-7/5/09

Six Rivers National Forest announced Saturday that more aircrafts have been
ordered to support crews on a forest fire in the Trinity Alps Wilderness,
according to a press release.

The fire, located 36 miles northeast of Willow Creek, became more active and
grew to a little over 30 acres in size Friday.

Fire crews needed more helicopter water drops to support line construction.

"We ordered two Type I helicopters that should arrive early this afternoon
to help the crews on the ground," Mike Beasley, Fire Management Officer,
said in the release. "The fire is about 15 percent contained and we hope the
added air support helps us make the progress we need to make today."

The fire outlook for Saturday was warmer and drier conditions with slightly
cooler temperatures expected for today.

Thirteen of the 14 fires being staffed by the Six Rivers National Forest are
contained, with seven controlled.

For additional fire information, call (530) 629-2118.

FIRE FACTS:

Number of fires: 14

Size: Fires range from a 1/10 of an acre to 30 acres in size

Started: Wednesday

Containment status: Seven controlled, six contained

Resources threatened: No structures are threatened

Active fire location: 36 miles northeast of Willow Creek in Trinity Alps
Wilderness

Resources:

- 2 hotshot crews

- 2 hand crews

- 1 Type 3 helicopter; 1 Type 2 helicopter, 2 Type I Helicopters arriving

Saturday

- 6 engines

- 3 water tenders

Byron Leydecker, JcT