[env-trinity] FW: Northern California Pacific Lamprey Conservation Initiative Meeting on Sept 1-2 in Eureka, CA

Byron Leydecker bwl3 at comcast.net
Mon Aug 17 15:23:14 PDT 2009

From: damon_goodman at fws.gov [mailto:damon_goodman at fws.gov]
Sent: Monday, August 17, 2009 2:40 PM

Subject: Northern California Pacific Lamprey Conservation Initiative Meeting
on Sept 1-2 in Eureka, CA

The northern California regional meeting of the Pacific Lamprey Conservation
Initiative will be held on September 1st from 9am to 4pm and the 2nd from
9am to 12 pm at the Humboldt Bay Aquatic Center in Eureka, CA (see
attachment). This meeting will cover coastal northern California drainages
from Cape Mendocino (including the Mattole River) to the Oregon border
(including the Oregon portion of the Klamath Basin). At this meeting, we
will be having special presentations by the Hoopa, Karuk and Yurok tribes on
the Tribal perspectives of Pacific Lamprey conservation.

At the meeting, we will be collecting information on:

1. Distribution
2. Abundance
3. Population trends
4. Threats
5. Conservation actions
6. Research, monitoring and evaluation activities and needs

If you have information on any of these categories please bring copies of
the documents, citations, and/or a point of contact to the meeting. The
information we collect will be used in the development of a modified
NatureServe model to assess the extirpation risk and relative ranking of
risk to Pacific lamprey populations in North America. Furthermore, we will
incorporate this information into a Pacific Lamprey Conservation Plan, which
will help guide future conservation efforts. I have included an attachment
that summarizes the NatureServe model and the questions we will be reviewing
at the meeting.

There will be a regional meeting for the Central Valley and coastal
drainages south of Cape Mendocino on September 15-16 in Sacramento, CA. I
will distribute additional information about the Sacramento meeting in the
near future.

Thank you for your interest and participation in conservation of this native
species. If you have any questions please email damon_goodman at fws.gov or
call 707-825-5155.

Damon Goodman
Fish Biologist
Arcata Fish and Wildlife Service
1655 Heindon Road
Arcata, CA 95521
phone: (707) 825-5155
(See attached file: HBAC Brochure with directions.pdf)(See attached file:
Eureka_natureserve.pdf)