[env-trinity] Suction Dredge Mining in Trinity River

Byron Leydecker bwl3 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 19 11:25:02 PDT 2009

This was sent to me by a friend who.  If anyone sees someone suction
dredging in the Trinity River, please call the California Department of Fish
and Game (DFG) hotline (Cal-TIP) 1 888 334-2258 and report the violation of
law.  Also, the Cal-TIP website is
http://www.dfg.ca.gov/enforcement/caltip.aspx  You also might follow up to
make certain that DFG actually pursues a successful stop to the illegal
activity.  Also, please let me know if you see any such activity -
bwl3 at comcast.net   A person is encouraging this illegal activity on the
Trinity publicly so it is extremely important to report any violation.

Byron Leydecker

Byron:

We're trying to keep the heat on DFG to enforce the suction dredge ban
signed into law with SB 670 (Wiggins) which was an urgency bill and went
into effect immediately.  Folks are using the DFG CalTIP hotline to report
violations, and this seems to be working on the Klamath and  possibly on the
North Yuba River in Sierra Co.  (Wardens are following up).  The Klamath
River Keeper's folks are reporting violations and say that DFG is following
up with wardens citing miners who are still operating.

Earl Crosby of the Karuk tribe regularly monitors the miners' internet
forums and chat rooms, and there's some evidence suggesting that miner
scofflaws are targeting the Trinity due to zero enforcement by DFG.  Do you
have any local contacts who could check to see what's going on along the
Trinity?

Thanks.

Byron Leydecker, JcT

Chair, Friends of Trinity River