[env-trinity] Today's Chronicle Editorial on $54 billion water bill/My letter in response

Dan Bacher danielbacher at fishsniffer.com
Sun Aug 30 15:40:14 PDT 2009

Today's S.F. Chronicle editorial: A $54 billion water bill:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2009/08/29/
EDJ019DHLC.DTL
My Letter in Response

Stop the Canal

It is absurd for the state to authorize a water project that could
cost up to $54 billion (editorial, August 30) at a time when our
state parks, teachers and childrens’ health care are in great
jeopardy because of budget cuts.

I find it appalling that Senator Joe Simitian and Assemblyman Jared
Huffman are sponsoring legislation that serves as a road map to
Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's peripheral canal. This proposed
government boondoggle wouldn't create any new water - it would only
take water from senior water rights holders to be delivered to junior
water rights holders on the San Joaquin Valley's west side.

In spite of the Governor’s claim that the canal will result in
“ecosystem restoration," this dangerous bill package will only
exacerbate the unprecedented collapse of Central Valley salmon, delta
smelt, longfin smelt, green sturgeon, Sacramento splittail, American
shad, striped bass and other California Delta fish populations by
removing more water from the imperiled estuary.

Does it make any sense for the state to build a giant canal that will
destroy Delta fisheries and Delta farmland while indebting
Californians for decades to come? For action alerts, go to
www.calsport.org.

DAN BACHER, Sacramento