[env-trinity] Oil America Group Inc. Doubles Gold Claim Acreage (Push out the little guys in dredgers, and this is what you're gonna get...coming to the Trinity first!)

Dan Bacher danielbacher at fishsniffer.com
Sun Nov 22 10:26:14 PST 2009

As corporations seize control of Trinity County gold, the oil
industry has seized control of marine "protection" in California.

Life in California has become living political theatre under
Schwarzenegger and the California Legislature.

This is a story - a huge environmental issue with many implications -
that the  corporate media refuses to investigate!

Dan

Big Oil Takes Control of Marine Protection in California

MLPA Task Force Chair Appointed President of Western States Petroleum
Association

by Dan Bacher

Corporate greenwashing in California under Arnold Schwarzenegger, the
"green governor," has become so bizarre and egregious that no
political satirist, comedian or novelist could concoct fictional
schemes that rival the reality of current politics in the state.

Only in Schwarzenegger's California would a governor appoint an oil
industry lobbyist to a key administration position supposedly
promoting "marine protection" at a time when oil companies are
seeking to expand drilling operations off the California coast.

On August 14, Secretary of Resources Mike Chrisman announced the
Governor's appointment of Cathy Reheis-Boyd, the Executive Vice
President and Chief Operating Officer of the Western States Petroleum
Association, as chair of the Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) Blue
Ribbon Task Force for the remainder of the MLPA South Project.

After having served on the MLPA Task Force for the North Coast,
Chrisman and Schwarzenegger apparently thought she had done such a
good job of promoting the fast-track MLPA process that he appointed
her to the new position.

Under the guise of "marine protection," Reheis Boyd and other task
force members chose a "marine protected area" plan for the North
Central Coast that banned the Kashia Pomo Tribe and other American
Indian Nations from harvesting seaweed, mussels and abalone as they
had done for centuries from their traditional areas off Stewarts
Point and Point Arena. In spite of overwhelming opposition to the
plan by North Coast environmentalists, seaweed harvesters, fishermen
and Indian Tribes, the Fish and Game Commission voted for the
"Integrated Preferred Alternative" (IPA) adopted by the task force on
August 5.

More recently, in yet another installment in this living political
satire, the Board of Directors of the Western States Petroleum
Association (WSPA) on October 16 announced that Reheis-Boyd will
assume the role of President of the oil and natural gas industry
trade association January 1, 2010.

“No one is more capable, experienced and deserving of leading our
Association into the future than Cathy Reheis-Boyd,” said Gary
Yesavage, President of Global Manufacturing for Chevron Corporation
and Chairman of WSPA’s Board of Directors. “Cathy is a great leader
and the Board is 100 percent confident she will continue to be a
forceful and successful advocate for our industry.”

The Western States Petroleum Association is the leading petroleum
industry trade association in six western states – California,
Arizona, Hawaii, Nevada, Oregon and Washington. Its twenty-seven
members include major integrated oil and natural gas companies as
well as independent refiners and marketers, and independent
producers. Formed in 1906, it is the oldest petroleum industry trade
association in the United States.

Reheis-Boyd, 52, has become the Association’s "primary expert and
spokesperson on climate change issues" and has played a key role
regionally, nationally and internationally in public policy
discussions on these issues, the news release noted.

“Providing our region’s future energy supplies and meeting our
climate change objectives are going to be major challenges for all of
us, not just the petroleum industry,” said Reheis-Boyd. “WSPA members
will be integral to solving those challenges and I am looking forward
to helping craft those solutions.”

Ironically, the contact for the association listed at the top of the
release was Tupper Hull, the former spokesman for the Westlands Water
District. The district, considered by many to the "Darth Vader of
California water politics, has continually fought every move by
fishermen, tribes and environmentalists to restore salmon, steelhead
and other fish populations of the Trinity, Sacramento and San Joaquin
Rivers.

John Lewallen, longtime North Coast environmentalist and seaweed
harvester, believes that Reheis-Boyd's position as an "oil industry
superstar" is a conflict of interest with her position as chair of a
task force charged with developing marine protected areas (MPAs).

"Reheis Boyd is moving right on up, really advancing the cause of the
oil industry," commented Lewallen. "By setting up these no-take
marine reserves and kicking fishermen, Indians, seaweed harvesters
and other ocean food providers off traditional areas of the ocean,
the Schwarzenegger administration is paving the way for offshore oil
drilling. Twenty-three percent of the nation's offshore oil reserves
are off the coast of California. The Point Arena Basin off Mendocino
is on track now to be leased for drilling by the Mineral Management
Services."

Lewallen noted that under Reheis-Boyd's "leadership," the Southern
California community plan for new Marine Protected Areas, developed
over 14 months by 64 stakeholders and many community groups, was
"thrown in the trash can" on Nov. 10 by the Blue Ribbon Task Force of
the Marine Life Protection Act Initiative.

"The Southern California Blue Ribbon Task Force 'Integrated Preferred
Alternative' is devastating to fishing communities, but good for
offshore oil drilling interests," said Lewallen, the co-founder of
the "Seaweed Rebellion" movement and longtime opponent of offshore
oil drilling, the clearcutting of forests and corporate greenwashing.

Reheis-Boyd's ascendance on the MLPA Blue Ribbon Task Force and in
the oil industry are no coincidence, since the MLPA task force's
decisions provide a "green" veneer to plans by the oil industry, wave
energy companies and corporate aquaculture to privative public trust
ocean resources.

"The people of the state of the California are being denied access to
sustainable ocean food by the MLPA process," said Barbara Stephens
Lewallen, John's wife, who will be banned from sustainably harvesting
seaweed off Point Arena starting next year, the result of the August
vote by Schwarzenegger's hand picked Fish and Game Commission.

The North Coast Blue Ribbon Task Force is about to be chosen by
Governor Schwarzenegger - and Lewallen suggested that the
environmental, fishing, tribal and seaweed harvesting communities of
the North Coast demand that Catherine Reheis-Boyd should not be
appointed as a member, due to her obvious conflicts of interest.

John and Barbara are outraged that a private corporation, the
Resources Legacy Fund Foundation, a group with dark ties to some of
the worst corporate greenwashers on the planet, is funding the MLPA
Initiative.

"A shadowy group called the Resources Legacy Fund Foundation has
taken over the process of setting up Marine Protected Areas, and is
moving to finance and control fisheries law enforcement and the
making of all fisheries regulations," added Lewallen. "The sooner
Californians unite to stop the private takeover of California’s
fisheries management, the better."

All of those concerned about the privatization of public trust
resources and the corruption of the democratic process should join
John and Barbara in challenging Schwarzenegger's appointment of an
oil industry "superstar" to chair a process supposedly designed to
"protect" the ocean. Has the MLPA initiative under Schwarzenegger,
the worst Governor for fish and the environment in California
history, become in reality the Marine Life Privatization Act process?