[env-trinity] Pasadena Star-News 1 13 10

Byron Leydecker bwl3 at comcast.net
Thu Jan 14 09:34:19 PST 2010

Congressional panel coming to LA to discuss water crisis

Pasadena Star-News-1/13/10

Rep. Grace Napolitano, D-Santa Fe Springs, will hold a rare congressional
hearing on the state's water crisis in Los Angeles Jan. 25, she announced
Wednesday.

The field hearing of the House Natural Resources subcommittee on Water and
Power, which Napolitano heads, will be the first congressional hearing on
the California drought that has been held in Southern California in at least
a dozen years, Napolitano said. Multiple hearings on the subject have been
held in the northern and central parts of the state, she added.

The congresswoman said those parts of the state could learn a lot from the
conservation and water recycling efforts of Southern California.

"This is something that Southern California has taken great pride in, and
done for a long time. We want experts to tell us what is being done here,
what else we need to do, and what role the government should play in it,"
she said.

Besides addressing innovations developed in this region that can be applied
across the state, the hearing will more broadly explore climate trends and
increased demand for water.

"We need to be able to focus on how Northern California issues affect
Southern California, particularly when it comes to the cost of water,"
Napolitano said.

Total water consumption in Southern California is similar today as it was in
1980, despite population growth, according to Anthony Fellow, board member
of the Upper San Gabriel Valley

Municipal Water District.

Fellow celebrated Napolitano's decision to hold the hearing in Los Angeles.

"It's a gutsy move," he said.

The hearing will begin at 1 p.m at the Metropolitan Water District, 700
North Alameda Street.

Byron Leydecker, JcT

Chair, Friends of Trinity River

415 383 4810 land/fax (call first to fax)

415 519 4810 mobile

 <mailto:bwl3 at comcast.net> bwl3 at comcast.net

 <mailto:bleydecker at stanfordalumni.org> bleydecker at stanfordalumni.org
(secondary)