[env-trinity] SF Chronicle 2 11 10

Frank Emerson frankemerson at redshift.com
Thu Feb 11 16:30:15 PST 2010

Dear All:

Without removing the dams, restoring cold water flows, recreating healthy wetlands, off channel habitat, estuaries, riparian shade trees of Old Growth size, clean gravels and riffles for BMI and spawning\rearing, etc. How does this help really? When all those salmonid habitats where taken away from the public for some or another municipal or business interest the Hatcheries were built as a substitute. So now we will have neither?

I am supportive of wild only managed watersheds and some rivers with hatchery runs for harvest. This just smells of an agenda to put the Fishing Industry: commercial salmon, catch and keep recreational salmon and steelhead angling, guiding, lodges, boat builders and tackle shops out of business. Without an economic contribution there will be less political, business or public interest in preserving California's Fisheries, SF Bay species, the Delta, the San Joaquin, the Sacramento, the Klamath, the Eel River. Or right here in my backyard the Carmel River. Where, coincidently. the local Editor of the "Carmel Pine Cone" is already claiming the expense to restore the unique (yes all wild) strain we have here is not worth the money spent because (his words) technically they are nothing more than trout. Which he frequently tells his reading public are one of the most common species in the world.

As a fisherman I work many volunteer hours to restore the Carmel River. I also advocate for fisheries and public trust rights. It looks hopeless with the Political Environment we have now in California between Corp Ag, SoCal Water Agencies, the County and State Water Agencies wanting the water for business and the preservationists working to put these resources out of reach forever for the average person.

Sincerely,

Frank Emerson