[env-trinity] SF Chron 2 12 10

Greg King gking at asis.com
Sat Feb 13 10:46:30 PST 2010

This is just incredible. It's not water for farmers, it's water for
cash. The article says Feinstein is acting primarily at the behest of
Stewart Resnick. Who is Stewart Resnick? To wit:

http://www.c-win.org/news/alternet-how-limousine-liberals-water-
oligarchs-and-even-sean-hannity-are-hijacking-our-water-s
"The leader of these recent water privatization efforts in California
is a Beverly Hills billionaire named Stewart Resnick. Stewart and his
wife, Lynda Resnick, own Roll International Corporation, a private
umbrella company that controls the flowers-by-wire company Teleflora,
Fiji Water, Pom Wonderful, pesticide manufacturer Suterra and
Paramount Agribusiness, the largest farming company in America and
the largest pistachio and almond producer in the world. Roll Corp.
was ranked #246 on Forbes' list of America's largest private
companies in 2008 and had an estimated revenue of $1.98 billion in
2007. ...

"Public Citizen's "Water Heist" report uncovered evidence that the
Beverly Hills farmer was instrumental in the privatization of the
Kern Water Bank. Not surprisingly, Resnick's Paramount Farms emerged
with a majority stake in the venture. In fact, Resnick's farm empire
controls the Kern Water Bank so thoroughly that it is not easy to
discern where Paramount ends and the Kern Water Bank begins. The Kern
Water Bank Authority, which administers the bank, is located in
Paramount's corporate office building outside of Bakersfield,
California."

Keep reading (from the link above; many thanks to C-WIN) to learn
about the $73 million sale of Central Valley Project water (that
would be public water) to the Mojave Water District. These are the
"farmers" that Feinstein represents, just as she has represented the
destructive side of virtually every natural resource issue she has
weighed in on. Don't be surprised if she inserts herself
significantly into any upcoming Klamath legislation, however dead
those deals ought to be by now.

--
Greg King
President/Program Director