[env-trinity] Sac Bee 2 24 10

Byron Leydecker bwl3 at comcast.net
Wed Feb 24 12:33:33 PST 2010

http://www.sacbee.com/2010/02/24/2561645/key-san-joaquin-water-district.html
#mi_rss=Latest%20News
<http://www.sacbee.com/2010/02/24/2561645/key-san-joaquin-water-district.htm
l#mi_rss=Latest%20News&v=twitter> &v=twitter

Key San Joaquin water district quits statewide association
mweiser at sacbee.com
Published Wednesday, Feb. 24, 2010
Westlands Water District, the powerful farm irrigation agency in the San
Joaquin Valley, has quit its membership in a leading statewide water
association.
Spokeswoman Sarah Woolf said Westlands quit the Association of California
Water Agencies because of budget priorities. She denied rumors the split was
related to a policy disagreement. Wetlands' ACWA membership cost about
$19,000 a year, Woolf said.
Westlands, the nation's largest farm irrigation district, is engaged in
several high-profile lawsuits against wildlife protections in the
Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta. It is choosing to focus on those efforts,
Woolf said.
"We just have to be very strategic on where we put our resources right now,"
she said. "We are in a lot of court cases, and that's not cheap."
ACWA is the nation's largest coalition of public water agencies,
representing about 90 percent of all the water delivered to California
cities and farms. Perhaps because of this broader responsibility, it has
struck a more cooperative posture toward environmental groups and
regulators.
 <http://www.sacbee.com/copyright> C Copyright The Sacramento Bee. All
rights reserved.

Byron Leydecker, JcT, Chair

Friends of Trinity River

415 383 4810 Land/Fax (Call first to Fax)

415 519 4810 Mobile

bwl3 at comcast.net

bleydecker at stanfordalumni.org (Secondary)

www.fotr.org <http://www.fotr.org/>