[env-trinity] Science News:Tracking Fish is More Than Just a Game of Tag

Sari Sommarstrom sari at sisqtel.net
Wed Jun 9 14:20:43 PDT 2010

http://www.science.calwater.ca.gov/publications/sci_news_0610_tags.html

> [...]
>another as “the best,” Holbrook said. “It
>depends on the study­the question you’re trying
>to address. You’ll see studies using multiple
>telemetry systems sometimes; one may answer one
>question very well; but to answer a suite of
>questions in the same study, you sometimes need
>to use a couple different methods,” he said. One
>thing is certain though, advances in fish
>tagging and tracking technology have greatly
>expanded our knowledge of the life cycles of fish.
>Tag Type Pros Cons Image
>Coded Wire Tag
>    * Small
>    * Inexpensive
>    * High survival from tagging
>    * Proven technology; long history
>    * Fish must be caught and killed to read tag
>    * Only two data points possible: point of release and point of recapture
>    * Recapture rate small in Bay Delta
>    * Requires large sample sizes
>source image courtesy of Marine Institute, Galway
>
>Passive Integrated Transponder
>    * Small
>    * Inexpensive
>    * No battery; lasts forever
>    * Don’t have to kill fish to read tag
>    * Detection rate low - Very small detection range of about a meter
>Image courtesy of Michael Melnychuk, University of Washington
>
>Acoustic Tags
>    * Can use far fewer fish (less than 1,000)
>    * Provide better location accuracy
>    * Can be recorded from large distances away
>    * Cost
>    * Limited battery lifespan
>    * Equipment issues: tags can fail, microphones can fail
>    * Noise interference (boats, pumps)
>    * Issues with identifying when a smolt’s been eaten by a predator
>Image courtesy of Michael Melnychuk, University of Washington
>
>Radio Tags
>    * Send out radio signal
>    * Useful for tracking movement
>    * Tracking from a distance
>    * Limited battery lifespan
>    * Wire antenna trailing out from fish
>    * Signal doesn’t travel well in water
>    * Need to follow fish around with boat
>    * If predator swallows fish, antenna gets swallowed
>Image courtesy of Michael Melnychuk, University of Washington
>

>Telemetry Studies Results Given at UCD Symposium at Bodega Bay
>

>During a Delta Science Program-funded University
>of California, Davis symposium May 20-21,
>participants from the Central Valley and beyond
>presented the results of electronic tagging
>studies of salmon migration. Highlights included:
>    * Results from the California Fish Tracking
> Consortium receiver network that can track the
> movement of tagged salmon and steelhead from Keswick Dam to Point Reyes
>    * Advances in fish tagging technology
> including smaller tags and improved receivers
>    * Effects of tides, river flow, gate
> operations, and route choice on salmon survival in the Delta
>    * New discoveries about the movement of
> salmon, steelhead, sturgeon, and other fish in rivers and coastal waters
>    * Detailed information about fish use of restored and natural habitats

Continued advances in fish tagging technology,
including smaller and longer lasting tags, are
providing new opportunities for understanding the
behavior and fate of fish. The new smaller
acoustic tag sizes are allowing researchers to
tag smaller fish such as juvenile salmon and
track their movements over long distances.
Tagging technology also allows researchers to
identify individual fish throughout their life
span. More than one scientist described the
travels of their favorite individual fish over
long distances and several years. It is now
common for researchers to track tagged fish from
other studies and share data about their movements.

>Vernalis Adaptive Management Plan Final Report Released
>

>The independent review panel of the Vernalis
>Adaptive Management Plan (VAMP) recently
>submitted its final report. VAMP is a
>large-scale, decade-long experimental management
>program that was designed to protect juvenile
>Chinook salmon emigrating from the San Joaquin
>River through the Sacramento-San Joaquin Delta
>while providing scientific information for the
>State Water Resources Control Board’s review and
>potential modification of the San Joaquin River
>flow objectives included in the Water Quality Control Plan (Bay-Delta Plan).
>
>During a two-day meeting in March, the panel was
>charged to provide an independent review of the
>science generated by the VAMP and make
>recommendations for how this science should be
>used to inform changes to the Bay-Delta Plan. Key panel conclusions are:
>    * There is evidence that higher flows
> increase survival of juvenile Chinook salmon
> passing through the Delta from the San Joaquin
> River, but the situation is complicated by
> other factors and survival is generally very poor.
>    * Evidence for improved survival with
> reduced exports is weak because of the very
> narrow range of export flows that occurred during the study.
>    * Placing a rock weir or operable gate at
> the Head of Old River to keep salmon out of the
> Old River channel and in the San Joaquin River channel improves survival.
>    * The VAMP participants should continue to
> use acoustic tagging technology, but should
> also use coded wire tags or other tagging
> technology to track fish throughout their life cycle.
Given the rapid changes in tagging technologies
and recent evidence of extremely low salmon
survival rates, the panel recommended that the
VAMP program continue to collect acoustic tagging
data supplemented by other tagging methods and
that the findings be reviewed on a more regular
basis­every three years. The panel was also
struck by the high rates of predation observed in
recent years and urged researchers to improve
understanding of predation effects by more
broadly characterizing predator distribution, abundance and feeding habits.