[env-trinity] Dan Bacher Action Alert

Byron Leydecker bwl3 at comcast.net
Tue Aug 17 09:30:13 PDT 2010

Dan Bacher

August 17, 2010

Action Alert: Call Wesley Chesbro in Support of MLPA Delay/Sign Tribal
Rights Petition!

If you haven't done so already, I strongly urge you to call Assemblymember
Wesley Chesbro's office TODAY to show support for his request for a
six-month delay in the implementation of Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger's
Marine Life Protection Act (MLPA) Imitative on the North Coast. Chesbro
recently asked Resources Secretary Lester Snow for the delay to ensure that
environmental protection is balanced with traditional access rights. All you
need to do is give your name and city and say that you support the six-month
delay.

Supporters of the Governor's fast-track MLPA process are trying to pressure
Chesbro to back down on his request, so we need to show Chesbro that there
is overwhelming support for his request.

The letters and phone calls from fishermen and their allies really helped
make the difference in pressuring the Legislature to not confirm Don
Benninghoven, a Schwarzenegger appointee, as a Fish and Game Commissioner.
We can have the same impact here if EVERYBODY who reads this alert calls
Chesbro's office today!

Here are his contact numbers:

Capitol Office:

State Capitol

P.O. Box 942849

Sacramento, CA 94249-0001

Tel: (916) 319-2001

Fax: (916) 319-2101

District Offices

Humboldt:

(Also represents Del Norte and Trinity Counties.)

710 E Street, Suite 150

Eureka, CA 95501

Tel: (707) 445-7014

Fax: (707) 445-6607

Mendocino & Lake:

311 N. State Street

Ukiah, CA 95482

Tel: (707) 463-5770

Fax: (707) 463-5773

Sonoma:

50 "D" Street, Suite 450

Santa Rosa, CA 95404

Tel: (707) 576-2526

Fax: (707) 576-2297

If you are in his district, you can email him by going to
<http://legplcms01.lc.ca.gov/PublicLCMS/ContactPopup.aspx?district=AD01&>
http://legplcms01.lc.ca.gov/PublicLCMS/ContactPopup.aspx?district=AD01&

Please take a few minutes to let him know how you feel about delaying the
implementation of the MLPA.

Second, I strongly I urge everybody to sign this petition to the State of
California to acknowledge and include Tribal traditional uses within state
regulations for marine protected areas of the Marine Life Protection Act
Initiative. Go to the Inter-Tribal Water Commission of California website:
<http://www.itwatercommission.org/> http://www.itwatercommission.org. There
is a link at the bottom of the posting that goes to:
<http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/protect-traditional-lifeways-in-the-marine
-life-protection-act/>
http://www.thepetitionsite.com/2/protect-traditional-lifeways-in-the-marine-
life-protection-act/

Below is my article about Chesbro's request for a six-month extension of the
North Coast MLPA process.

Dan Bacher

Byron Leydecker, JcT

Chair, Friends of Trinity River